Search the forum,

Discuss Push button toilet won't flush properly in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello folks,
Our push button toilet won't flush properly most of the time, if you push the button it makes a half-hearted attempt, but gives up; sometimes you have to push it quickly 3 or 4 times and it eventually flushes; occasionally it just won't do a proper flush and you have to leave it for a bit and try later on.
I have attached some images to show the mechanism.
From a quick test, it seems that the button and air tube are working as expected, as the button mechanism didn't seem to have any leaks, and blowing down the tube didn't highlight in leaks in the tube, it also didn't flush the toilet. The air tube goes into a the bottom of the white cylinder, which contains a rubber bag/membrane that is used to lift the white domed weight, which pulls the blue tube up and releases the water into the bowl. It seems that the weight doesn't get lifted much most of the time, so I'm presuming that there might be a leak in the rubber bag/membrane.
I am hoping that this can be fixed by replacing the whole mechanism that the tube attaches to, if so can you suggest suitable replacements, and could I replace it with a dual flush mechanism?
Also there is no obvious stop valve on the cold water feed, is there another way to isolate it locally, or can I hot-swap the mechanism?

Attachments

• IMG_20201209_193149104.jpg
    IMG_20201209_193149104.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20201216_170658690.jpg
    IMG_20201216_170658690.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20201216_165905796.jpg
    IMG_20201216_165905796.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20201216_175827237.jpg
    IMG_20201216_175827237.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Following oz-plumber's suggestion, I tried lifting up the cistern flush mechanism with my little finger, and couldn't feel any resistance, so I presume that it isn't the outlet washer. I also removed the weighted lifting mechanism and when pressing the button it makes a wheezy sound, so it does seem like this is the issue.

If I am going to replace the flush mechanism, what do I need to know to get a suitable replacement?
Is it the same size hole that they fit into, do I need a specific measurement?
Does it have to be another pneumatic one, or is cable any better?

Are they all designed to fit a standard outlet, as I've seen some product reviews that seem to indicate they differ; if so what do I need to measure to get a suitable replacement.
My current flush button is front mounted in a hole 40mm diameter and 20mm depth, but this could be enlarged if required, and the pneumatic tube is about 400mm long - would a cable one be a suitable/better replacement?

Reply to Push button toilet won't flush properly in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there. I have a Cersanit close coupled toilet which as started leaking between the cistern and the bowl when flushed. I've taken the cistern off and this is what I see. I'm assuming the issue is with the silicon gasket (please see attached photos) but can't seem to find a replacement...
Replies
Views
Hi, my Geberit duel push button has stopped flushing the toilet. When either button is pressed a small amount of water is released but not enough to flush the toilet. I have removed the plate holding the unit and pulled the 2 plastic tubes away. By blowing into the tubes the system flushes so I...
Replies
Views
R
Hi, Our toilet button wont flush our toilet...it has two tubes coming from it (a white and black one) which go to the mechanism inside...I can lift the mechanism inside which flushes the toilet,so that works. Any ideas what I ned to do?
Replies
Views
Anyone got an idea of the make of this flush valve? Trying to locate a replacement screw in push button. The diameter of the button unit is relatively large at 50mm. I have attached a picture of the valve itself.
Replies
Views
Hi folks, sorry to have to post this but we got a new bathroom a few months ago and the toilet seat was loose at one side. The cistern is integrated and the seat is top-fixing. I assumed it was quick release but couldn't find a button to push, there are no little grommit hidden screws or...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock