Search the forum,

Discuss Pumping Over in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

A bit of a story but please bear with me.
I have just sent 10 days away having switched off the the central heating controller and boiler. This is someting I do not normally do. I usually just turn down the C.H. thermostat but leave the hot water timed. The system is open vented, Y plan When I returned, the boiler, an 11 year old Worcester Bosch Greenstar !8 Ri model, would not fire up even after going through the boiler reset procedure. The blue fault indicator light on the front of the boiler flashed at a fast rate. The hot water tank immersion heater was found also giving trouble when we needed it most, but I will refer to that later. I called a maintenance service and the engineer found the boiler fan at fault which he replaced to get the boiler up and running. He also said he found some water in the boiler which he thought had probably entered via the chimney during exceptional torrential rain and high wind that had occurred whilst I was away. Later in the day when trying out the central heating and hot water, I went into the bungalow loft and found water gushing out of the expansion pipe into the feed/expansion tank. I called the engineer the following day and he found that by turning the pump power setting from maximum to minimum the overpumping ceased. The pump is situated in the bungalow loft at floor level and the expansion pipe rises to a maximum of about 7 feet above the loft floor. The boiler itself is wall mounted in the kitchen.
To my mind there are a couple of questions. Firstly, will the pump circulate sufficient hot water for the central heating in cold weather on minimum setting. Time will tell I suppose. Secondly, if the pumping over is due to a blockage where is it likely to be and what will be the least costly way to remove the blockage, i.e is there a chemical that might work.
Turning to the Immersion heater, this has an overheat reset on the heater itself (not on the thermostat) which seems to trip after half an hour or so. I suppose this indicates that the heater is furred up and needs to be replaced.
Advise would be appreciated.

Turning to the Immersion heater, this has an overheat reset on the heater itself (not on the thermostat) which seems to trip after half an hour or so. I suppose this indicates that the heater is furred up and needs to be replaced.
This suggests to me that the immersion (replaceable) thermostat might be faulty (or somehow set too high, but that's not normally possible). Might be worth trying a replacement for that before doing anything more drastic.
On second thoughts, if it's tripping when the water around it is cool, you may be right. If the tank is really hot when this happens, I may be right!

Reply to Pumping Over in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The existing pump flows downwards. The manual for the proposed replacement recommends that it should pump upwards. This would involve rearranging the flow &...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from the loft water reservoir tank (which also feeds the cold water taps in the bathroom & the WC cistern). There is an expansion vessel attached to this...
Replies
Views
… praying to the plumbing God, Bob Pictures and layout details attached, so be patient. 21 year old oil fired system in pretty good nick. I noticed some minor pumping over from the vent (occasional burst of water, and the odd dribble). Didn’t think much of it as I was about to replace the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Hope somebody can help :) I have a vented HW system with a pressurised Ch system but got bit of a annoying issue, when the hot water comes on all seems ok then after about 15/20 mins i started to hear a trickling noise from hw cylinder which i can also hear in the boiler. The central...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock