Search the forum,

Discuss Pumping over - on hot water only in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Got an open vented system with two 2 port valves and a fairly recent ‘electronic’ pump, set to fixed speed 2.

In the recent colder weather, I turned the boiler up a bit and then became aware the boiler was singing so turned the pump to 3.

By chance noticed an icicle hanging from the expansion tank overflow. Got up In the loft and with a bit of trial and error determined that it’s pumping over, a steady trickle, when the HW is on – makes no difference if the CH side is running or not.

I’ve put everything back as it was and thankfully it’s all fine again.

Any ideas why it would only pump over when HW is on?

Presume it was the boiler flow temperature you increased?.

Can you post the pump make and exact model and may be able to suggest a mode with a setting in between 2 and 3.

You possibly have a partial blockage somewhere as well depending on where the cold feed is teed into the system

Thanks, yes, I upped the boiler flow temp.

This is the pump: WILO YONOS PICO 4169842 CENTRAL HEATING PUMP - Harworth Heating - https://www.harworthheating.co.uk/product/wilo-yonos-pico-4169842-cantral-heating-pump/ (I got it from Screwfix for about £100 but they don't list the same one now).

I have it set on II.

I just realised that the power display on CH is 18W, When it HW is on, regardless of CH status, it changes to 24W. At 25 ish, it pumps over.

I tried it on max proportional setting but on CH only it drops to 11W and the boiler cycles like mad.

I have a model very like that, a Wilo Yonos Pico 1-6 (a 6M pump) but it differs in that fixed speed i,ii &iii are in the middle and PP mode is on the left, like yours and CP (constant pressure) mode is to the right of the three fixed speeds, you are showing the 3 fixed speeds on the right but it is also showing a rectangle with the CP symbol (a straight horizontal line) so wonder how do you get CP mode??.selected
I am also surprised that on full PP setting that the power is only 11W as on mine you can incrementally change the PP (or CP) settings from 0.5M to I think 5.5M, in 0.1M steps, you should see the selected head flashing when you change the setting, after a few seconds it then reverts to watts W. So a PP setting of 5/5.5M should IMO pump as much as a fixed speed setting of II,
I have mine set to a setting of PP4.5M which = 3.5M on CP and ~ 18/22 W on CH and ~ 22/24w on HW only or HW&CH.
You might first try to run in CP mode and see does it behave better, put the boiler to CH only and increase CP setting (note the "flashing head" to see can you get say 16/18W then put the HW on as well and note the watts W, then
switch off the CH and note the watts, W.

Constant Pressure (CP) Mode
1613321965666.png

Looking at my own pump curves......on max PP setting then 11W indicates that it is pumping nothing.

Proportional (PP) Mode

1613321523603.png

Last edited:
I have a model very like that, a Wilo Yonos Pico 1-6 (a 6M pump) but it differs in that fixed speed i,ii &iii are in the middle and PP mode is on the left, like yours and CP (constant pressure) mode is to the right of the three fixed speeds, you are showing the 3 fixed speeds on the right but it is also showing a rectangle with the CP symbol (a straight horizontal line) so wonder how do you get CP mode??.selected

I think it's nothing more complicated than proportional on the left and fixed on the right. Top centre is vent.

To be honest, I was thinking it was fixed speed, but if it's fixed pressure then it makes sense that the pump goes faster when the HW is on as its flow is relatively unrestricted.

I also hadn't realised the display showed head - I thought it was just power. Pump is near the bottom of the airing cupboard so I suppose it's only going to be ~3 metres to the water level in the expansion tank (and therefore the vent).

3M to the water level has nothing to do with the (a) pump head, the pump head is the differential head (pressure) developed by the pump between the suction and discharge and depends on pipe losses, boiler Hx losses, valve losses etc, you would seem to have restrictions somewhere in your CH system hence the boiler cycling.

Did you note the head settings as you are/were changing the CP settings??

3M to the water level has nothing to do with the (a) pump head, the pump head is the differential head (pressure) developed by the pump between the suction and discharge and depends on pipe losses, boiler Hx losses, valve losses etc, you would seem to have restrictions somewhere in your CH system hence the boiler cycling.

Did you note the head settings as you are/were changing the CP settings??

Ah, thanks - I'm very out of my depth here!

At the moment 18W is 3.8M - the house is pretty warm now and a fair few of the TRVs almost closed to reduce their radiator temps. If I wind the cylinder stat round to bring the HW on, the power is going to 33W now and the head looks the same 3.8M.

I think the system cycling is just that it's an old fixed output boiler and the house is a little under-radiatored as well as being a not very well built 60's house. It's generally OK but struggles when the temp is around 0C.

Ok, thanks.

You would seem to be circulating 6.2 LPM on CH only and ~ 23 LPM with CH&HW.

Are those readings on speed II?,

Now, if you feel up to it can you change to PP 5.2M and note the watts on both CH and CH+HW.
You should get around the same readings as you did on speed II, you can then change back to speed II if you like.

Ok, thanks.

You would seem to be circulating 6.2 LPM on CH only and ~ 23 LPM with CH&HW.

Are those readings on speed II?,

Now, if you feel up to it can you change to PP 5.2M and note the watts on both CH and CH+HW.
You should get around the same readings as you did on speed II, you can then change back to speed II if you like.

Yes, those readings were on II.

5M is the max in PP at 11W on CH. Add HW it goes to 33W.

What confuses me here is the pumping over on HW seems counter-intuitive. It would be understandable (to me) on CH but on HW you'd think it would be busy enough circulating the water to bother with pumping it out of the vent.

Last edited:
Its the way PP mode works, even though its set to 5M, on CH only when it sees a flowrate of 6.2 LPM at 3.8M it will ramp down the speed slightly until it sees ~ 5.9 LPM at 3.5M, practically the same, but when it sees a flowrate of 23 LPM at 3.8M then it ramps up to max at ~ 5m and that's why the pump over happens, the proof is if you change to CP3 at around 5M? then the pump over starts again.

Of course it shouldn't pump over at any head but that depends on the pipework and the way the cold feed tees into the system with relation to the vent, mine is a combined cold feed and vent where the cold feed is teed straight into the vent at the header tank with the circ pump on the return to the boiler and can't pump over, another method is where the pump is mounted on the boiler flow side and you have from the boiler, vent, cold feed and pump.

Well it was pumping over on III before during multiple trys so no reason to thing it won't do it again.

The pumps max rating are 5M and 33W, by the way so it's flat out on max PP setting. So I'm suspicious about the head reading when it was on II with both CH & HW, I'll recheck that tomorrow.

Feed and expansion are taken from an air seperator in the airing cupboard, just before the pump.

That's correct, I misread the flow rate on speed II on HW+CH, its actually ~ 13 LPM (not 23) but that doesn't change the PP flat out output, its looking for 0 flow at 2.5M and ~ 14 LPM at 5M so it just ramps up. CP2 will never be higher than 3.8M (if that's its CP setting) but could be lower if running flat out but you won't be able to see the actual head and CP3 is a constant 5M so you can't run on it.
The air separators are notorious for sludge build up, some say they should not be fitted and should actually be removed, you are getting pump over for quite awhile I would think judging by the icicle?, you might post a photo of the vent & cold feed set up sometime.

The air seperator looks just like this one: Air Separator - 22mm with Cold Feed - https://www.bes.co.uk/air-separator-22-mm-with-cold-feed-18639/ - it's on the floor of the airing cupboard and with the expansion in 22mm over the expansion tank and a separate 15mm feed.

With the pump back on II everything seems normal with just CH or both on. However I'd really like to have more flow through the boiler on CH, because as the system gets hot it's cycling pretty frequently and the boiler does a thing where it stops and restarts the pump every time it fires. This was the reason I stopped using the PP settings as it starts at full speed and backs off.

I didn't realise it does the same on CP (as I thought it was speed that was fixed, not pressure) and I think if both CH + HW are on then starting at full speed it might be momentarily pumping over - although I haven't caught it doing that yet.

The bathroom radiator is plumbed as a bypass - might it help to open that more? It's only minimally open to stop it short-circuiting the rest to the system and when the kids were small we didn't want it too hot.

Last edited:
The cold feed should be after the vent/separator but no more than 150MM from it otherwise you can get pump over particularly if that separator is partially blocked.
These pumps certainly don't start up at full speed, they take 3/5 secs, I've often watched mine with a energy monitor, each time it starts/restarts the set head will flash for ~ 3/5 secs, during this time the pump is ramping up in ~ 2W stages to its final position and sits there then until the flow changes due to TRVs throttling in or whatever.
Even with only one rad fully open (all the rest shut off) you should get a flowrate of ~ 8 LPM at that 3.8M head so even if all your rads are throttling in on their TRVs I would expect 10 to 12 LPM flow like I get with my 8 TRVd rads, you are only getting ~ 6 LPM so I would just open up one or two fully and note the watts on CPII, also when you start up in the morning when all the TRVs are open then you should get ~ 12 LPM or ~ 23/25 watts on CPII.
Don't know what the output of your boiler is but if you assume 20kw then at a flowrate of 6 LPM the deltaT through the boiler is, theoretically 47C, and it will cycle on/off very rapidly, if the flowrate was 10 LPM then the deltaT is 29C which helps.
Pump overrun after boiler cut out would help as long as the overrun time is ~ 3 to 5 minutes through that by pass rad. If you have zone valves then that rad should be piped with the flow upstream of the valve.

The cold feed is just as shown on that air separator – so it’s 50mm from the vent. Pump is just after it.

You’re right about the pump – in fact when the boiler is re-firing and doing its pump wiring check, the pump does little more than blip, and it comes back showing the same watts as before, no head reading. It’s only from a ‘full’ start that it shows the head then switches to watts. I think I was remembering how the previous pump, a Grundfoss Alpha, worked – that used to start with a “whoosh”.

We have quite a small system – just 8 rads plus the bathroom as a bypass (it is before the 2 port valves). All the rads are medium size single panels. The boiler is the infamous Potterton Suprima – I think it’s something like 12kW. Really, once the house warms up, the bedroom TRVs pretty well shutdown so that takes 3 rads out.

To my mind, the lack of flow through the boiler is making the boiler too readily hit its ‘stat, so the pump runs for 3 mins and, in colder weather, it’s amazing how much heat the system loses in that time.

The graphs baffle me – are you working out the LPM from m/s ? The graphs for my pump are a little more squashed than yours: https://atacsolutions.com/eshop_uploads/wilo/wilo_yonos_pico_25_5_130.pdf

Should have seen the link to the tower separator, if clean then there should be, theoretically, no pump over at that vent/feed distance of only 50MM, of course it is also a perfect dirt trap but unfortunately cannot be cleaned out easily as there are no compression fittings, if mine, I would consider removing it altogether and just have the vent....cold feed.....pump, or else replace it with a new one if old one cannot be cleaned out.
I would suggest there is definitely a partial blockage there as the pump over only happens with a high flowrate which means a higher pipe velocity and leads to venting.

Re pump readings, LPM = M3/hrX16.666 or if you prefer LPM = l/secX60.
My pump curves are meaningless now as you have a 5M pump (not a 6M) and the settings are a bit confusing, especially the constant pressure CP ones, your attachment seem to indicate that CPi is 0.8M, CPii is 2M and CPiii is 4M, can you just confirm that on your pump that setting CPii is flashing 3.8M on startup? because if its only 2M then there is a big problem with blockage(s).

Thanks again.

If you look at the picture of the pump in the link earlier, it's got 4 segments with I, II and III between the segments. I've got it midway between II & III. On CH only, from a start (turn room stat up to open the valve) it flashes 3.8M and settles quickly to 18W.

Ok, on CH only, the flow rate is ~ 6 LPM
on HW+CH, the flow rate is = or is > 17 LPM.
At 6 LPM the deltaT through the boiler is 29C and at 17 LPM is 10C so on CH only the pump cycle time or overrun time will have to be sufficient to allow the return temp to be at least 30C and preferably 35C or more below the boiler SP to give it any chance of a few minutes run, if the boiler SP is say 70C then the return temp should be ~ 35C or lower on boiler re firing. If the room stat (if installed) isn't satisfied then the pump will continue to run so the cycle time is important and if room stat is satisfied then the pump overrun time is.

You said in post #15 that the pump runs on for 3 minutes when the boiler hits it's stat, I take it you mean by this that the pump continues to run (as it should) and the boiler doesn't fire up for 3 minutes, the anti cycle time?, the pump may stop/start briefly for some boiler check?. When the house/bedrooms etc are up to temp what is the normal boiler cycle time? (room stat still calling for heat) and what is the boiler SP temperature?.

Another point although not hugely important since you run on CP mode is that when you ran on max PP mode, it controlled exactly as it should with HW+CH on but the flow fell to ~ 3 LPM with CH only on, it should have controlled to almost exactly (very slightly higher) at 4.2M and 6.3 LPM the same (almost) as on CP mode,

Does SP = set point? There’s just a dial with blobs and it’s backed off a little from max. Have an old analogue pipe thermometer on the flow above the boiler and it gets to just under 70C, then drops to 55C in the 3 mins the anti-cycle time (pump keeps running). When the boiler re-fires the flow temp on ther thermometer continues to drop to 50C before climbing again. Running at the moment for about 10 mins, but it is 9C outside here now (21C in the house). One thing noticed is the return is all but cold to touch.

I watched for the water reheating as wife used a load of hot water this morning. Was dismayed that when the HW valve opened water trickled out of the vent. Had to back the head off to 3.3 (26W) to stop it. Noted the return at the boiler was very hot when HW being reheated.

Now it’s reheated, and back on CH only, the pump is down to 16W (still 3.3 head).

I’m surprised by the low LPM figure for CH – what’s ‘normal’? 6LPM (I guess a bit less now I've turned it down) doesn’t sound much and I’m surprised at that flow rate that I can open up a TRV and hear water rushing in.

Yes, SP = setpoint, 70C seems OK, the return will get very cool when all the TRVs close in, theoretically, if no permanent by pass then the flow can go to practically zero, when I installed my Wilo Pico two years ago I took a good few readings with the circ pump on but (20 kw oil fired) boiler off and with just any one rad only full open I was getting a minimum of 5/6 LPM and with 2 or more full open ~ 7/10 LPM. so I would suggest making a note of say 3 rad TRV settings and then opening them fully for a few minutes and monitor the watts/flowrate. The boiler seems to be behaving OK though even with that small flowrate, your main problem IMO is probably a partial blockage in that Tower, I have a combined Vent&cold feed in my system which I consider to be the very best arrangement in a open vented system, my system is spotlessly clean with some of the original rads after 40+ years with only the odd drop of inhibitor added.

From your boiler spec, here are the recommended flow rates.

"Systems with Two Port Valves Where a pair of two port zone valves are used, the total length of the by-pass circuit taken from the boiler connections should be greater than 4 metres of 22 mm pipe. The bypass should be capable of maintaining a minimum flow through the boiler of 4.5 litres/min (1 gal/min). Systems with Thermostatic Radiator Valves (TRV’s) Where mechanically operated thermostatic control valves are used, the total length of the by-pass circuit taken from the boiler connections should be greater than 2 metres of 22 mm pipe. The bypass should be capable of maintaining a minimum flow through the boiler of 9.0 litres/min (2 gal/min)."

Attachments

• Combined Cold Feed & Vent. rev1.JPG
    Combined Cold Feed & Vent. rev1.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 2
Only the upstairs rads close their TRVs - the downstairs ones, apart from the hall, are wide open. The biggest rad is a long single panel under the living room bay window, which is piped in a long and tortuous run of 10mm Hep2O, and that radiator gets very hot (the room needs it) even at its return end.

Anyhow, I now understand the pump isn't constant speed so I understand how it's able to pump over when HW in on. Bit of a pain as I'd like more flow through the boiler on CH to stop the boiler singing but I can't have that as it messes up when HW on.

The air separator is almost behind the hot water cylinder and that would have to come out to get at it. We do have plans in to extend and refurb the house and certainly the Suprima boiler will be getting ditched at that point and I have a space earmarked for a Megaflo (or similar).

I would choose a boiler that can modulate down to 2kw, the majority of boilers, even 15kw ones will only modulate down to 4 or 5kw including the Baxi Megaflo? and some make a awful meal of cycling on/off, they just don't like it, at least your old Suprima can cycle away happily even though its a non modulating boiler.

Reply to Pumping over - on hot water only in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock