Search the forum,

Discuss Pumped shower on solar system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, just taken over a bungalow that has a conventional water cylinder downstairs, vented to a cold tank in the attic, and also it had a roof mounted solar hot water system with hot cylinders up there as well. A Drayton electric 3 way valve selects which cylinder system supplies the hot water for the whole house, selected by a switch in the downstairs cupboard.

Question is, can I fit a negative head shower pump in the attic after the three way valve to boost the downstairs shower, or is it essential to fit Surrey tank top outlets and take feed direct from top of cylinders???
If that is the case how will I select which tank to feed from, another Drayton 3 way valve maybe for shower pump hot feed only?

That valve would have to use same control as solar system.

Any advice appreciated

Downstairs cylinder with hot feed from top
[automerge]1567413369[/automerge]
Roof cylinders with solar hot feed from top of closest one
[automerge]1567413412[/automerge]
Three way valve selected by switch in cupboard

Attachments

• A94D595F-56F1-4931-A2A1-2420E3AD27E6.jpeg
    A94D595F-56F1-4931-A2A1-2420E3AD27E6.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • 92DE6263-B446-4F69-8760-4B978E7450EC.jpeg
    92DE6263-B446-4F69-8760-4B978E7450EC.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • 55690AB1-B155-4D15-8068-450D692A8C1F.jpeg
    55690AB1-B155-4D15-8068-450D692A8C1F.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 9
Seems like a lot of stored water, how big is your property? The 3 port IMO is a silly idea as it's just going to restrict flow. If it's just a pressure boost to the shower than I'd look at the shower power booster from flowflex. You can fit them directly before the inlets to the shower so don't need to worry about where to tap off the hot supply. I believe it's a product of @Alan Wright. Wait for a response off him and he'll tell you if it's suitable or not.

Thanks Craig, the upstairs cylinders are only heated by the solar panels. The original installer is still in business - Sunuser

Previous tenants have said there is enough hot water through the summer months to be able to turn the gas boiler off.

Had a word with Sunuser today as the solar system needs service, and they recommend a twin coil cylinder downstairs, which would make sense, then I’ll only need one hot feed to shower pump via Surrey flange. I was thinking a 1.5 Bar Salamander positive head centrifugal would work in that setup, next to downstairs cylinder.

From my experience a twin coil cylinder is the usual method for solar hot water. If your going to buy a new cylinder and a booster pump, if your flow rate allows it, why not spend a little more now and go for an unvented?

Reply to Pumped shower on solar system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock