Search the forum,

Discuss Pump vs pressurised cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

brum_rich

I am currently getting a few quotes for a refitting of my en-suite shower room. Currently I have an electric shower in there so when I fit the new shower system it will require an increase in pressure as my gravity fed system will not provide sufficient pressure for shower I require.
The solution I was thinking about was to fit a 2 bar pump to the current system to provide the pressure required to the en-suite (whilst also plumbing it in to provide increased pressure to the main bathroom which is pretty poor at the moment).
We have recently had some advice that we should opt for a preesurised cylinder as it would be a better long term solution as the pumps sometimes only last a few years. Also as we have a loft conversion they say it would cause a lot of disruption to fit a pump as they would need to get a hot water feed and would be difficult to access the pipework.
The quote for a pressurised cylinder is £1500 supply & fit, whereas a pump would be about £300 for a decent one plus labour which they estimate could be around £400 I am told due to work required to get the hot water feed.
Is it false economy to go for a pump and should be take the plunge and go for the pressurised cylinder which although more expensive might be the better long term solution. Any thoughts?
Also we currently have a conventional boiler although this is 10 years old now we might need to replace with a new combi in the next few years. I am told both of the above solutions will work with either boiler type.
Many thanks

Go for a mains pressure tank and if you replace you boiler in the future you do not have to replace it with a Combi Just replace your existing boiler for another heat only boilerPs Combi boilers are not the best option if you already have your type of system . I.e. A proper system

if you can afford it long term the cylinder is the better option pumps tend to be high maintanence items but you need to have incoming main checked for flow and preaure before fitting

I'd go money permitting the pressurised cylinder it will give you better pressure around your whole house, not just your new shower.

unvented every time , more expansive but is investment ,but get mains checked for pressure income and L/min !

unvented, pump will have a smaller lifetime than a new cylinder, plus for a pump to be used on taps as well will kill it off even quicker

Definitely go for the unvented system. Although initially more expensive, it's the longer term solution and you won't regret it!
As mentioned by others, ensure your water pressure and flow rate is good enough.

Worth mentioning - in the unlikely case that your area suffers from varying mains pressure or water cuts, then the unvented solution may not be a good idea, as you do not have stored water.

Many thanks for all your responses Looks like an outright win for the vented cylinder

You mean unvented , make sure it get fitted by competent person!If you need one just list your location !

As stevetheplumber says, have your mains water pressure and flow rate checked, any competant installer should do this.
No point blindly saying go for an unvented, if you have less than 2 bar pressure and 20 litres per minute then you'll probably be better off with a big tank and a shower pump.

For example, if you have 2 bar and 20 litres per minute, when another hot tap is opened that pressure and flow rate could be halved. In this case you could be better off with tanks and say a 2-3 bar shower pump. In this case when the kitchen taps, dishwasher, outside tap etc are turned on you won't get a decrease in pressure but you need the storage space for the tanks as the pump can't run dry.

Assuming flow rate is Ok and we can go for unvented system, can anybody advise on a reputable brand/model of cylinder so I can do some research into whether to go with the current quote of £1500 supply and fit or to source the product myself and get a plumber separately for the labour.

Assuming flow rate is Ok and we can go for unvented system, can anybody advise on a reputable brand/model of cylinder so I can do some research into whether to go with the current quote of £1500 supply and fit or to source the product myself and get a plumber separately for the labour.

Acv smart,Tribune, gledhill,tempest
There are lots of good cylinders
£1500 sounds cheap

The thing is if you start sourcing things yourself if anything was to go wrong with the product the installer might not be too quick to help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pump vs pressurised cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock