Search the forum,

Discuss Pump overrun is killing my heating! in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Might also be worth also checking if it keeps the zone valve opened for the overrun period (otherwise despite what I thought previously) the ext pump will have no pathway for the water, (with/if all zone valves closed), it may not do the ext pump any harm if the overrun is only for a minute or so.
I'm 99% sure the zone valve does stay open during overrun as this is what originally made me question why the external pump wasn't also running. My old system, without the external pump, would have continued to pump water around the cylinder in the morning even when in overrun mode, but the new system wasn't doing that and so the water was only being pumped around the boiler circuit.

It seemed like the system spent a lot of time in overrun mode, which is what I had assumed was causing it to take so long to heat up the hot water in the mornings. Maybe that wasn't the cause and it was due to my son having secret midnight showers and also having the hot water temp set to 65. It still seems "better" that the external pump should be running during overrun.

How long is the overrun period now, roughly?
I don't think the secret shower had anything to do with it as there was hardly 250 lires of water that needed to be heated to 65C in the morning and 1 hour should have been more than adequate, also the ext pump even on D.27 5, should have remained running except that the burner cut off due to the boiler minimum output being greater than the heat absorbed by the coil as the cylinder temperature was approaching 65C.

How long is the overrun period now, roughly?
I don't think the secret shower had anything to do with it as there was hardly 250 lires of water that needed to be heated to 65C in the morning and 1 hour should have been more than adequate, also the ext pump even on D.27 5, should have remained running except that the burner cut off due to the boiler minimum output being greater than the heat absorbed by the coil as the cylinder temperature was approaching 65C.
The problem was that it was taking the whole of that hour in the morning to heat up the cylinder and therefore the house wasn't being heated, resulting in us getting out of bed to a cold house.

Currently, there's around a 4 degree C temperature drop overnight for the cylinder, which means the boiler doesn't even bother to re-heat the cylinder when it turns on in the morning and therefore spends a full hour heating the house, resulting in it being nice and warm by the time we rise.

When my son had his night time showers, there was a MUCH bigger temperature drop in the hot water (the boiler is off during the night) and therefore a large proportion of that hour in the morning was taken up re-heating the water, rather than heating the house. Plus, heating the water upto 65 deg C takes longer than heating it upto 55 deg C. It all affects the remaining time allocated to heating the house.

Agreed that the setting of d.27 for the external pump probably hasn't made that much difference, but it makes me feel much better knowing it now comes on when the internal boiler pump runs.

I haven't noticed how long the overrun period is, but will investigate.

Secondary Circulation pump or “flow pump” as Vaillant refer to it, should be Wired to the orange wires of the two port valves as per the VR71 wiring diagram.
Greys permanent live as usual in S plan.

Reply to Pump overrun is killing my heating! in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

T
Hi We urgently need to get our h/w cylinder replaced because it's leaking. Our current system is oil boiler feeding underfloor downstairs, radiators upstairs and an unvented hot water cylinder for hot water. We are thinking of moving to a heat pump at some point but aren't ready to do this. My...
Replies
Views
I just had a quote for a new boiler install as follows I dont undertand why a 15-60 boiler pump is needed and a 25-100 pump is needed as well I currently have an ideal mexico 2 heat only boiler - It has one DAB pump on the boiler return and a 2 port valve at the flow pipe to allow for heating...
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The existing pump flows downwards. The manual for the proposed replacement recommends that it should pump upwards. This would involve rearranging the flow &...
Replies
Views
Hello, recently our boiler stopped working properly, causing a lack of heat in our 14-radiator splitter in 3 storeys. having only one boiler at time it kind of working, only for one at time (and partially hot), depending on the priority in the system. We contacted Valliant for assistance...
Replies
Views
R
Hi, I have boiler Vaillant VUW SOE 242_2-3 R2 (it's TurboBlock Pro). Does somebody have service manual / maintenance PDF where can I get some additional informations? Here's my problem: I'm not sure at what bar should I pump the chaimber (pre-charge pressure at bars). When I turn on the hot...
Replies
Views
Revlyne
R
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock