Search the forum,

Discuss Pump overrun causes loud bang in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,
I am not a plumber, but I have done some DIY in the past, so I have some experience. Following a new boiler install by a professional about a year ago, there remains an issue when the pump overrun initiates. The boiler is a Worcester Ri compact installed downstairs. the pump is installed above it and feeds out to two Drayton 2 port valves, one for C/H one for H/W. Between the pump and the valves is a tee with a divertor to provide a by-pass during overrun. this works fine when the C/H closes down, but when the H/W closes down there is a loud thump as that valve closes against the pump flow, even with the divertor set to its lowest pressure. The H/W tank is about 8 or 9 meters away, upstairs and the pipes (28mm) are laid between the upstairs joists with minimal fixing (now difficult to access).
It is as if the Drayton valve is being forced closed suddenly by the pressure from the pump, but this doesn't happen with the C/H side. It doesn't happen when the H/W closes but the C/H is still open, only when the H/W on its own is running. The pump is running at its lowest speed. I have tried to eliminate airlocks by putting the pump up to top speed, then back down.
Has anyone else experienced this issue? (Cant find it mentioned anywhere on Google). Could the valve be faulty? It is fitted the right way round according to Drayton installation booklet.
HELP !!!

Hello,
I am not a plumber, but I have done some DIY in the past, so I have some experience. Following a new boiler install by a professional about a year ago, there remains an issue when the pump overrun initiates. The boiler is a Worcester Ri compact installed downstairs. the pump is installed above it and feeds out to two Drayton 2 port valves, one for C/H one for H/W. Between the pump and the valves is a tee with a divertor to provide a by-pass during overrun. this works fine when the C/H closes down, but when the H/W closes down there is a loud thump as that valve closes against the pump flow, even with the divertor set to its lowest pressure. The H/W tank is about 8 or 9 meters away, upstairs and the pipes (28mm) are laid between the upstairs joists with minimal fixing (now difficult to access).
It is as if the Drayton valve is being forced closed suddenly by the pressure from the pump, but this doesn't happen with the C/H side. It doesn't happen when the H/W closes but the C/H is still open, only when the H/W on its own is running. The pump is running at its lowest speed. I have tried to eliminate airlocks by putting the pump up to top speed, then back down.
Has anyone else experienced this issue? (Cant find it mentioned anywhere on Google). Could the valve be faulty? It is fitted the right way round according to Drayton installation booklet.
HELP !!!
it is being forced shut by the pump you are correct, try a new valve

it is being forced shut by the pump you are correct, try a new valve

Thanks for your comment, partly right. I decided to e-mail Drayton at the same time as posting this query. It seems the valve is upside down. The instructions say the flow should be "from A to B", so my assessment was based on the A and B on the actuator casing next to the manual lever, but Drayton say that the underside of the brass valve body is marked A and B, and they are the opposite to the markings on the actuator - hence the confusion. Hopefully, when my plumber comes and changes round the valve the thumping will have disappeared. Anyone using Drayton valves (with the detachable actuator), please note !

Reply to Pump overrun causes loud bang in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

T
Hi We urgently need to get our h/w cylinder replaced because it's leaking. Our current system is oil boiler feeding underfloor downstairs, radiators upstairs and an unvented hot water cylinder for hot water. We are thinking of moving to a heat pump at some point but aren't ready to do this. My...
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The existing pump flows downwards. The manual for the proposed replacement recommends that it should pump upwards. This would involve rearranging the flow &...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just had my central heating system "upgraded" for a four bed-roomed detached house. The heating company recommended going from the open vented system to sealed / pressurized system, new pump ( UPS3 Grundfos ) all new plastic pipework ( extending ) the 22mm feed and return pipes so no...
Replies
Views
Can anyone help, please? I'm looking for a heating system circulation pump for a domestic install, with 3 speeds, where the speed can be toggled electrically as well as via a push switch on the pump body. I'm using this pump with a wood boiler stove, where I want to run the pump at its slowest...
Replies
Views
Hello. I've just replaced our old Potterton EP2 CH controller with a Drayton Wiser HubR (& peripherals). The old backing plate wasn't compatible with the new universal one, but the wiring was pretty close AFAICT (N, L, 1, 3 & 4 connected) .When I first powered it up but didn't have any TRVs...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock