Search the forum,

Discuss Pump over-run wiring in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gromit

Hello all, I'm a house-holder who's been given contradictary advice by Corgi registered engineers. I'm having a Gloworm Ultracom 30SXi system boiler with an indirect unvented cylinder fitted to my house.

Engineer one says that he has priced in for an installation of an additional cable to the pump which he says will be house in the airing cupboard upstairs and that this is known as pump over-run wiring.

Engineer two says that this is nonsense as the Gloworm Ultracom has an inbuilt pump.

I've called Gloworm who won't talk to me technically and will only confirm that there is an inbuilt pump and told me to take advice from a Corgi engineer who is welcome to call them. But I have two Corgi engineers who both radically disagree so I don't know what to think.

What a nightmare - all I want is a new heating system and someone competent to fit it.

Not really a nightmare mate! They are both right in a way.

There are 2 types of Gloworm Ultracom's, a combination ultracom CXI and a standard ultracom HXI.

The combination ultracom has a built in pump, and does not require a seperate cable.

The standard ultracom does not have a built in pump and does require a seperate cable for the pump.

From your post are saying that you have an airing cupboard, so would assume you are having a Ultracom HXI, so would need to run a seperate cable to the boiler, from the pump in your airing cupboard.

Thanks Washer. This Ultracom is a system boiler - an SXi. Ultracom2 sxi: System Boiler >> Glow-worm

I will have the unvented indirect cylinder located in a cupboard upstairs. From the attached I've downloaded the instructions and there is a pump shown in the diagram so does this negate the need for a pump connection to the airing cupboard?

A system boiler has the pump inside the boiler, so a pump overun is usually built in as standard.
As you are having a new system put in, your boiler requires a permanent live and a switched live to operate. Previously it would have required just a switched live which comes from the wiring centre in your airing cupboard (or via a junction box in the most awkward inaccessible place know to man!). It sounds as if the first engineer is suggesting that he runs a permanent live cable from the airing cupboard wiring centre to your boiler.

Thanks Mike. The controller is located a few feet away, so can the permanent live be taken from the controller? The first engineer hasn't even been to the property and told me that he preferred to first quote over the phone (perhaps this has something to do with me asking to see his Corgi card when he turned up).

You are best getting the second engineer around to take a look as regards to the difficulty of getting a hard wired cable back to the airing cupboard. The best practice is to have everything wired from the wiring centre, but in my limited experiance I've seen perm lives nicked from everywhere.

Thank you. I'll have a chat with him. I'm a bit paranoid as conflicting advice for someone like me who knows nothing about this subject is a worry. The route to the airing cupboard is going to involve a lot of destruction. Although not ideal is it ok to go from the programmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pump over-run wiring in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice please. My system has 5 Drayton Wiser TRVs. There are 8 rads over 3 storeys and a 170l unvented cylinder. One of the attic rads is in the same zone as the cylinder so just has a "dumb" TRV on it. The two bathroom rads also remain without TRVs and I...
Replies
Views
I’m in the process of getting quotes from heating engineers to replace an old Ideal Classic LX boiler. My dilemma I have is not so much the difference in prices quoted - I expected that - but the advice being given regards: what to replace it with the need for additional wiring or not My...
Replies
Views
I'd like to install an unvented cylinder in the loft. With limited headroom it would have to be horizontal. I want to keep my existing valiant condensing boiler. I currently have a vented set up. A couple of plumbers said this could work. Will the feed and expansion tank for the central...
Replies
Views
Hello and happy Easter everyone, hope you're having more fun than me! Friendly advice needed please. Long story short, we arranged to have a 2 day 2 engineer installation of system boiler and unvented cylinder, replacing a heat only boiler and unvented cylinder with broken coil. Got 3 quotes...
Replies
Views
We need an urgent advice, we have a gravity water system and we are in a middle of loft conversion. We are adding an en-suit in loft and prefer to have a good water pressure there. What we want, is to either be able to run multiple showers at once, or if one person is having a shower, other...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock