Search the forum,

Discuss Pump on return is there a problem? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Yes still going, although I worked for SLD pumps for a time, so understand the general principle, I am an electrician not a plumber, so not really knowledgeable with domestic pumps, I know my father-in-laws pump failed after the micro switch stuck on the motorised valve and caused it to run with no flow, however the pump could have been on last legs anyway.

But in that case the motorised valve was on pressure side of pump, not sure what happens if on suction side? Also just fitted the motorised valve to wiring, although not as yet plumbed in, and I note mounted one way it could be forced open by pressure the other way pressure would hold it closed, so if mounted one way around maybe it would simply be forced open and do no harm?

I have got it wrong before with domestic central heating, so not going to tell the plumber his job, but still would like to get it straight in my own mind.

The plumber said fitting a motorised valve would not stop thermal syphon through the radiators, so I asked him to do simple experiment, turn off the maintenance valve at the pump, if the radiators then did not warm up, clearly a motorised valve would help, if they still warmed up, then clearly a motorised valve would not help, and they stopped warming up, so fitting a motorised valve seemed to be way forward.

That is not to say some sort of pressure release valve like a by-pass valve would not do the same job, however I would then need to fit relays or pressure switches to replace the micro switch in the motorised valve, so for me as electrician the motorised valve was easy sure way to cure the problem.

I am sure this heating was fitted by a professional in the first place, so some thing about this house has clearly caught him out, so I am being careful, after all the ark was built by an amateur and Titanic by professionals so the professionals can get it wrong. As an electrician I have made mistakes, so why should I think other will not.

I think the problem all hinges around the conversion of the garage into a flat, they were clearly well out of their comfort zone, with loads of over sights during the conversion. This includes a fuse box between the original garage ceiling and new false ceiling with a hole just big enough to reach the main isolator. So nothing surprises me in this house.

Th.e bypass flow will be in the direction of the red arros in this edited pic. Whether the pressure at the input of the ABV would vary correctly to cause the ABV to open as required is difficult estimate.

Bypass Flow.jpg
Where do the feed and expansion pipes connect?
What is at the other end of the "unknown" pipe?

PS It would be less complicated if you ditched one pump, then moved the other pump and both valves to the flow. At the same time the HW should be pumped and a MV fitted to the HW circuit. It's called an S Plus system. The feed and vent pipes would need to be connected before the pump. You would then need one autobypass after the pump, connected to the boiler return.

I wish I knew how it was plumbed, the plumber is telling me the T's in the airing cupboard are going to the radiator feeds, personally I think it goes to just the bathroom towel rail, I think the feed and expansion is on the thermo syphon connection which is to right of boiler and there is no connection to left hand side of boiler which does central heating other than through the boiler. Pipework-question2.jpg I can see two pipes as shown going into the loft, would assume to a header tank, the problem is when the garage was made into a flat, the walls were clad with plaster board hiding all pipes except in the kitchen cupboards either side of the boiler, with the flat being under the house it is in essence three story, so thermo syphon works well, plumber suggested just using the TRV to turn off radiators, however not sure they are accurate enough, where the wall thermostat will turn off the central heating completely at temperature set, the TRV tends to modulate over a couple of degrees, so when in summer the DHW is called for, the upper radiators still get warm.

You, or your plumber, need to stop guessing and do some investigating. For a start, look in the attic and check how the F&E tank are connected. Then find the other end of the "unknown" pipe shown on the heating side of your diagram. As shown it is not doing anything, so why is it there?

The house is built into the side of a hill, originally it had a garage under the house which had it seems the central heating boiler, electric meter and fuse box in the garage, when the garage was turned into a flat a consumer unit was added for the flat, and walls and ceiling lined so pipe work and original fuse box hidden, there is a small hole below fuse box just big enough to get your hand in to switch it off, may be able to change a fuse, but never taken one out in case can't replace it.

The central heating for house was controlled by going outside and down to flat and plugging in the pump, which was on a 13A plug, the flats central heating had the pump on a thermostat, but no temperature control for the house.

There was an old programmer in the house, but the three core cable house to flat only had two intact cores, so all programmer did was turn whole system on/off. There was a hole in the hall wall with a cable showing, this is seems was originally the location of the thermostat, there was a wireless thermostat receiver in the flat, but no transmitter.

There were three FCU's supplying central heating, one in house and two in flat. In essence only control was the TRV's fitted to every radiator other than house bathroom.

Short of gutting the flat, which is on the cards, no way to trace where wires change colour or water pipes go, so in mean time I need to have a working system at least until wall and ceiling plaster boards are removed, as latter is a major job.

So much for buyers report where the surveyor completely missed all this, even missed the floor was breaking up under the cistern.

We had a pair come in, plumber and chippy, to repair floor under cistern and fit new shower, however when shower removed beams rotten below, so the job took longer than planned, so it was agreed they would return latter to finish the work, and in the mean time I would wire up ready.

So Nest fitted and two motorised valves wired up, but just sitting in the cupboard not as yet fitted, the plumber returned to say he has put his back out, so there will be a delay, he clearly had messed up his back, and it may mean getting some one else, or DIY, and although I could not fit the valve to flat pipe work, or fit the by-pass valve, fitting the motorised valve for house does seem possible.

So looking at what I can do if required.

Your type of system is a typical pumped heating gravity hot water system.

The only difference is there are 2 circuits on the heating side. The open vent cold feed will connect into the cylinder flow and return(gravity side).

The best thing you could do is convert the system to a fully pumped setup. Cylinder thermostat to control hot water temp and set it up as a s plan plus. As you the system you have now cannot have a new boiler simply added to it.

Seperate electrical feeds to pumps etc is just a bodge and could potentially be a hazard as the heating system should be fed by one fuse spur.

As its also a old type of system chances are it could be a 1 pipe system and trvs won't work properly anyway.

Reverse circulation will be caused by poor system design we're the circuit downstairs has been added on poorly.

So my advice if your renovating would be start over and do it properly otherwise you will give yourself a head ache.

Your type of system is a typical pumped heating gravity hot water system.

The only difference is there are 2 circuits on the heating side. The open vent cold feed will connect into the cylinder flow and return(gravity side).

The best thing you could do is convert the system to a fully pumped setup. Cylinder thermostat to control hot water temp and set it up as a s plan plus. As you the system you have now cannot have a new boiler simply added to it.

Seperate electrical feeds to pumps etc is just a bodge and could potentially be a hazard as the heating system should be fed by one fuse spur.

As its also a old type of system chances are it could be a 1 pipe system and trvs won't work properly anyway.

Reverse circulation will be caused by poor system design we're the circuit downstairs has been added on poorly.

So my advice if your renovating would be start over and do it properly otherwise you will give yourself a head ache.
If it was only that easy, there are two wires and earth between flat where boiler, pumps, valves and heat link is, and the house where I want to control it all from, those two wires now have the 12 volt supply to the thermostat and data running down them.

Getting a tank thermostat fitted is the ideal, however looked for wireless versions of a tank thermostat and they seem to have gone, I remember fitting one in my dad's old house, they were cheap enough, but can't find them now.

In real terms come winter there is no so much of a problem, worried about under temperature rather than over temperature to avoid legionnaires, and not so sure about hot water anyway, OK having a bath, but to wash hands you have to run off so much water before hot arrives, it is a bit daft.

What I have considered is a combination of immersion heater which has a thermostat, and the central heating, so run central heating domestic hot water say 7 am Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun 1/2 hour each day, then run electric at 7:30 am Mon for 3 hours to ensure hot enough. Getting a timer for immersion is on my "to do" list.

However at some point likely ceiling in flat will need a hole making in it, the fuse box is between original ceiling and new flat ceiling and clearly needs moving, once this is done, I may find more about how the boiler is plumbed, and also I will be able to isolate a single circuit, at the moment I can reach main fuse board isolator, but would not want to draw a fuse, as may not be able to get it back in again.

Reply to Pump on return is there a problem? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock