Search the forum,

Discuss Pump assistance for thermosyphon? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I hope someone can help, as my thermosyphon powered hot water tank has been moved, it takes ages to heat up and the boiler keeps cycling. I can only assume that the narrow pipes and long horizontal run have stopped this working well. I do not want to disturb the pipework much, so adding a pump seems like a good idea. My worry is that the head on a normal circulation pump will end up forcing water up and out of the vent pipe.
Is there a recognised way of giving a thermosyphon a bit of a helping hand?
Cheers in advance.

You mean gravity hot water ?

Why was it moved ?

Yes, gravity fed from a conventional boiler with a pumped circuit for the radiators and gravity for the hot water. It will be a massive job to make the hot water run off the pumped circuit, so I wanted a simple solution. The tank was moved from the bathroom up to the loft and the plumber only used 22mm pipes and there is a long level run across the loft to the tank. If I dud go with the pumped circuit, can I simply cap off the gravity ports on the boiler?

Well he’s done wrong as he needs to bring it upto regs and energy efficiency eg fully pumped s plan etc

Also gravity circuits can’t be level need to rise

Correct

Well he’s done wrong as he needs to bring it upto regs and energy efficiency eg fully pumped s plan etc

Are (were) these combined systems only installed on gas fired boilers?, apart obviously on solid fuel boilers. Assuming a properly installed cylinder with vertical pipe runs what approx is the cycling time assuming the cylinder is nearing full temperature? Oil fired boilers like my own cycle very frequently under the above conditions with a all pumped system.

This is a gas fired boiler in my case. The cycling is much more than when pumping the radiators.

Thanks, the cycling would be far greater on oil firing (with gravity cylinder circuit) as oil fired boilers don't modulate, I was just wondering if anyone had seen one plumbed this way despite the above.

Reply to Pump assistance for thermosyphon? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

C
Hi everyone, My flat is located next to a communal boiler with a hot water circulator pump ( Grundfos UPS 15-50N Secondary Hot Water Circulator ). The pump is noisy and vibrating. Would installing a more powerful pump solve the problem? Many thanks for your help!
Replies
Views
ChristineLondon
C
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The existing pump flows downwards. The manual for the proposed replacement recommends that it should pump upwards. This would involve rearranging the flow &...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just had my central heating system "upgraded" for a four bed-roomed detached house. The heating company recommended going from the open vented system to sealed / pressurized system, new pump ( UPS3 Grundfos ) all new plastic pipework ( extending ) the 22mm feed and return pipes so no...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Central Heating Pump - G Pump Force HE-RS25/6PWM-130 Hi, I would be grateful if someone could explain whether our CH system can cope with the AUTO (adaptive mode) setting on this the new pump or which mode it is best set at (recently had our old 3-speed pump replaced with the above smart...
Replies
Views
Hi thank you for letting me join this forum . We have an air to water heat pump but the bungalow is piped in micro bore 10mm pipe which doesn’t look well piped , kinky in pipes in some places ,some of the rad don’t heat up too well , probably because of the badly piped system, the pipe is all...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock