Search the forum,

Discuss Pulled out washing machine, this is what we found. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

We moved in to our house 4 years ago. Previous owners where there for 7 years, and bought from new.

Yesterday we had our washing machine replaced. Couldn't believe my eyes once they had got the old machine out. Take a look at the photo. Shame our washing machine didn't pack up two years ago, house would have still been under gaurantee.

IMG_20190206_101244.jpg

The awful thing is that on paper I expect the people responsible for this have more qualifications than some of the excellent practitioners on this forum. (albeit gained in a matter of weeks). Still, they satisfy the office ****ers so they can tick their boxes that all is well.

Shocking. What were the first owners thinking let that go and not complaining or did they have work done?

Generally the house is OK, built 2007 before I think the real corner cutting started. There are still bits that you look at and go that's poor workmanship, but not as bad as the current lot of new build we hear about.

Generally the house is OK, built 2007 before I think the real corner cutting started. There are still bits that you look at and go that's poor workmanship, but not as bad as the current lot of new build we hear about.
It would be good if you could meet the builder/developer and let them see it, just to ask face to face if they think it is acceptable and if they would allow it in their home?

Am I right in thinking that's the boiler condenstate pipe in shot? If so, it looks as through the gradient on it isn't right and needs correcting. (It could just be an optical illusion due to camera position / angle.)

It would be good if you could meet the builder/developer and let them see it, just to ask face to face if they think it is acceptable and if they would allow it in their home?

I would love to meet them face to face, it's too late now. 10yr gaurantee is finished.

Am I right in thinking that's the boiler condenstate pipe in shot? If so, it looks as through the gradient on it isn't right and needs correcting. (It could just be an optical illusion due to camera position / angle.)

Not sure, I'm not a plumber myself. I came on here yesterday looking for some advice on a leaky tap, then I noticed the wall when I had the washing machine replaced, took a photo and thought you would all be interested in seeing this mess.

The pipe has been bent over. I should imagine whoever ordered the washing machines didn't take these pipes in to consideration. When they came to install the washing machine it would'nt go all the way back.

Last edited:
I would love to meet them face to face, it's too late now. 10yr gaurantee is finished.
I would ignore the warranty. I would ignore trying to get them to pay for the reinstatement work. I would just like to stand in front of them and ask politely what they think. Hopefully, they will be pricked by their conscience.

Digressing a big .... customer of mine bought a brand new house last summer, specified a laminate floor in the proposed office, builders layed it . In October his wife falls out with the floor and wants a carpet . He pulls the floor up and finds the side of a chipboard kitchen cupboard filling a hole in the floor !!! Sake

The state of new builds built by the big developers is shocking, I think it has a lot to do with most houses being sold off plan and there only being a handful of builders building most houses. The customers have little control over the process and there is no real competition driving standards up, instead there's effectively collusion to drive thrm down. On the continent there's 70%+ of all new builds that are self builds, it makes a massive difference on keeping standards up imo

Mine is a new build. The builders put laminate down in the dinning room instead of carpet so they changed it. Or so I thought. Ohh no. They just laid the carpet over the top:eek::eek::eek:

The general levels of skill in our industry are good, standards are slipping, price is an issue
however supervision is poor and inspection suspect . If I bought a brand new house I would have a full survey carried out inc. an MES ...£1000 tops well worth it...not the mickey mouse handover one either ...minimum 1 day ...cheap for an investement of £1/4 m ..cars get better scrutiny and buyers have mire comeback
Rob Foster ...centralheatking

i was told by my plumbing supplier some time ago that site work is paid on each item so set price for sinks washbasins toilets etc so thats why they are thrown in (thats justt my take on it may be right maybe wrong) but judge the installations on new builds

Not plumbing but, in a building over 100 years old recently. And the wall runs along straight then suddenly bends by about 3 inches so as not to hit the windows. There's always been the careful and the careless in all trades. New builds are often very poor but quality has always been variable. My 2p. ;)

20190207_200943.jpg

Make sure mice can't find there way into the walls or you will have your own sprinkler system.

I've heard so many bodge stories in regard to new builds, so that house is 11 years old? Very shameful work.
I live in a listed building, solid.

Not plumbing but, in a building over 100 years old recently. And the wall runs along straight then suddenly bends by about 3 inches so as not to hit the windows. There's always been the careful and the careless in all trades. New builds are often very poor but quality has always been variable. My 2p. ;)

View attachment 36850
Is that a partition wall in a terraced property?

Not plumbing but, in a building over 100 years old recently. And the wall runs along straight then suddenly bends by about 3 inches so as not to hit the windows.

Hmm. Are you sure that the original wall hasn't been modified by someone adding internal insulation much more recently than 100 years ago? They'd have stopped short and then curved out to avoid the window.

Is that a partition wall in a terraced property?
No, it's in a block of flats built for slum clearance in 1900's and it's all on' the cheap (and on the p!) None of the rooms are really square , floor levels are out also. I'm a bit of a geek for how buildings are built and how they work. I have got other pics of that wall on my other laptop when we were refurbishing. I think it was the setting out went wrong. It was a matter of cost to put it right so the corner was cut and it was left like that forever.

Hmm. Are you sure that the original wall hasn't been modified by someone adding internal insulation much more recently than 100 years ago? They'd have stopped short and then curved out to avoid the window.
Nope. Pics from both sides coming soon if you like when I fire up old laptop.

Correction, NHBC scheme once the builders finished the snagging is not a warranty for the buyers, it's purely for the mortgage company. Only the first couple of years get a warranty on basic problems that don't really affect the value, the remainder is only the structural side i.e. things that make the house drop huge value if uncorrected.
Anything that would drop the house value by less than 10% wouldn't get a look in, as the mortgage company doesn't care and buyers will keep buying regardless. But if a house is unmortgagable then obviously the builder would care about that.

Reply to Pulled out washing machine, this is what we found. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock