• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net (formerly UKPlumbersForums.co.uk). Please login with your usual username and password. Or register for free if you haven't already done so.

Discuss Pulled out washing machine, this is what we found. in the Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Harvest Fields

S. Mod
Trusted
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Mine is a new build. The builders put laminate down in the dinning room instead of carpet so they changed it. Or so I thought. Ohh no. They just laid the carpet over the top:eek::eek::eek:

Rob Foster

Reaction score
The general levels of skill in our industry are good, standards are slipping, price is an issue
however supervision is poor and inspection suspect . If I bought a brand new house I would have a full survey carried out inc. an MES .£1000 tops well worth it...not the mickey mouse handover one either ...minimum 1 day ...cheap for an investement of £1/4 m ..cars get better scrutiny and buyers have mire comeback
Rob Foster ...centralheatking

Gasmk1

GSR
Reaction score
i was told by my plumbing supplier some time ago that site work is paid on each item so set price for sinks washbasins toilets etc so thats why they are thrown in (thats justt my take on it may be right maybe wrong) but judge the installations on new builds

WC1

Reaction score
Not plumbing but, in a building over 100 years old recently. And the wall runs along straight then suddenly bends by about 3 inches so as not to hit the windows. There's always been the careful and the careless in all trades. New builds are often very poor but quality has always been variable. My 2p. ;)

20190207_200943.jpg

Inverness

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Make sure mice can't find there way into the walls or you will have your own sprinkler system.

Pickwickpick

Plumber
Reaction score

Rob876

Reaction score
I've heard so many bodge stories in regard to new builds, so that house is 11 years old? Very shameful work.
I live in a listed building, solid.

Last Plumber

Trusted
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Not plumbing but, in a building over 100 years old recently. And the wall runs along straight then suddenly bends by about 3 inches so as not to hit the windows. There's always been the careful and the careless in all trades. New builds are often very poor but quality has always been variable. My 2p. ;)

View attachment 36850
Is that a partition wall in a terraced property?

Chuck

Reaction score
Not plumbing but, in a building over 100 years old recently. And the wall runs along straight then suddenly bends by about 3 inches so as not to hit the windows.
Hmm. Are you sure that the original wall hasn't been modified by someone adding internal insulation much more recently than 100 years ago? They'd have stopped short and then curved out to avoid the window.

WC1

Reaction score
Is that a partition wall in a terraced property?
No, it's in a block of flats built for slum clearance in 1900's and it's all on' the cheap (and on the p!) None of the rooms are really square , floor levels are out also. I'm a bit of a geek for how buildings are built and how they work. I have got other pics of that wall on my other laptop when we were refurbishing. I think it was the setting out went wrong. It was a matter of cost to put it right so the corner was cut and it was left like that forever.

WC1

Reaction score
Hmm. Are you sure that the original wall hasn't been modified by someone adding internal insulation much more recently than 100 years ago? They'd have stopped short and then curved out to avoid the window.
Nope. Pics from both sides coming soon if you like when I fire up old laptop.

johnduffell

Reaction score
Correction, NHBC scheme once the builders finished the snagging is not a warranty for the buyers, it's purely for the mortgage company. Only the first couple of years get a warranty on basic problems that don't really affect the value, the remainder is only the structural side i.e. things that make the house drop huge value if uncorrected.
Anything that would drop the house value by less than 10% wouldn't get a look in, as the mortgage company doesn't care and buyers will keep buying regardless. But if a house is unmortgagable then obviously the builder would care about that.

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Top Bottom