Search the forum,

Discuss ptfe tape or no ptfe tape? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

What's best on compression fittings - ptfe tape? A compound? Just the olive?

I always use paste. It acts as a fine sealant and also lubricates, so will help when you compress the joint.
Ptfe wrapped over olive a few turns will help seal well, but the tape gets cut and I would then be wary that water can still passs the olive

Didn't used to bother with PTFE until we started getting some olives made of crap material (the first of the Chinese I think), so started then.
Always use if having to remake a joint using old olive, although since getting a bona fide olive splitter I tend to fit new olives if I can.
Equally mystified why someone would put tape on the threads of a comp joint.

Didn't used to bother with PTFE until we started getting some olives made of crap material (the first of the Chinese I think), so started then.
Always use if having to remake a joint using old olive, although since getting a bona fide olive splitter I tend to fit new olives if I can.
Those who put tape round the threads don't understand how the fitting seals.

OGM, just remember it's not the Chinese at fault. They make perfect kit - WHEN asked to do so and WHEN allowed (through price) to do so. It's carp because BUYERS do not wish to pay for quality.
It's no different to our job. When a customer pays for a good job they get a good job. When they pay peanuts they get rubbish!

Some say that a turn or two of tape on the threads acts as a lubricant and makes it easier to tighten the nut.

OGM, just remember it's not the Chinese at fault. They make perfect kit - WHEN asked to do so and WHEN allowed (through price) to do so. It's carp because BUYERS do not wish to pay for quality.
It's no different to our job. When a customer pays for a good job they get a good job. When they pay peanuts they get rubbish!
Agreed. If stuff is supplied on basis of price only, that is what happens. What got me was the dodgy olives came from my normal supplier who is usually quality aware.
Not worth fitting cheap stuff. Just been out to sort an expensive Mira shower with its filter blocked by shards of chrome plating from the shiny but cheap compression fittings used on the pipework to it. Not my install, I hasten to add.

its definitely fish night

Paste / compound

I always use Jet Blue compound on compression joints, something the old boys that trained me insisted on happening.

I do have to chuckle to myself when I see PTFE on the thread of a compression fitting

My 2 cents -

Brand new shiny compression fitting and pipe - just use the olive
Anything else - wrap or two of PTFE and a smear of thread sealant

Exactly where would you use PTFE Tape? I notice they do different version for gas fittings.

I never use it on new compression fittings, if I'm reusing an olive that's already in place (e.g. changing TRV/lockshield) I'll sometimes wrap few turns around the olive itself, although even that is more belt and braces tbh and don't always do it. Compression fittings work by the olive being squeezed real tight between the pipe and the body of the compression fittings, although the thread does is allow you to pull everything in nice and tight.

Re gas ptfe its the one in a yellow roll.

I never use it on new compression fittings, if I'm reusing an olive that's already in place (e.g. changing TRV/lockshield) I'll sometimes wrap few turns around the olive itself, although even that is more belt and braces tbh and don't always do it. Compression fittings work by the olive being squeezed real tight between the pipe and the body of the compression fittings, although the thread does is allow you to pull everything in nice and tight.

Re gas ptfe its the one in a yellow roll.
For me the whole fitting is changed. I have rarely used an old nut or olive.

Reply to ptfe tape or no ptfe tape? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock