Search the forum,

Discuss ptfe tape or no ptfe tape? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

For me the whole fitting is changed. I have rarely used an old nut or olive.

Same more often than not, handful of times with radiagtor valve swaps that I've re-used.

If I can get the olive off, then the valve gets a new nut.

If I can't, then it stays on.

Simples.

Question - when you have an olive on so tight, that is has deformed the (old and soft copper pipe), do you think that removing it (with an olive splitter or hacksaw) is a good idea? Would you risk a new olive and a few wraps of tape? Or would you cut it off and solder a new section?

Or round the threads of a union type lock shield valve :D

To be fair when I've seen this I think the installer was trying to seal a dodgy one of those unions at the face and the PTFE is just wrapped around the thread to keep it in place whilst being assembled. The PTFE on the thread is doing nothing to seal the fitting of course but it will sometimes help if it is also covering the face of the joint.

As you all know, when it squeaks it leaks ... how often it was that case ... I lost count on that! As explained numerous times, paste is the way and it will act as a sealant.

Reply to ptfe tape or no ptfe tape? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock