• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net (formerly UKPlumbersForums.co.uk). Please login with your usual username and password. Or register for free if you haven't already done so.

Discuss ptfe tape or no ptfe tape? in the Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Rob876

Reaction score
What's best on compression fittings - ptfe tape? A compound? Just the olive?

Best

Trusted
Plumber
Reaction score
I always use paste. It acts as a fine sealant and also lubricates, so will help when you compress the joint.
Ptfe wrapped over olive a few turns will help seal well, but the tape gets cut and I would then be wary that water can still passs the olive

offgridman

Reaction score
Didn't used to bother with PTFE until we started getting some olives made of crap material (the first of the Chinese I think), so started then.
Always use if having to remake a joint using old olive, although since getting a bona fide olive splitter I tend to fit new olives if I can.
Equally mystified why someone would put tape on the threads of a comp joint.

Craig Watson

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Didn't used to bother with PTFE until we started getting some olives made of crap material (the first of the Chinese I think), so started then.
Always use if having to remake a joint using old olive, although since getting a bona fide olive splitter I tend to fit new olives if I can.
Those who put tape round the threads don't understand how the fitting seals.

YorkshireDave

Plumber
Reaction score
OGM, just remember it's not the Chinese at fault. They make perfect kit - WHEN asked to do so and WHEN allowed (through price) to do so. It's carp because BUYERS do not wish to pay for quality.
It's no different to our job. When a customer pays for a good job they get a good job. When they pay peanuts they get rubbish!

John.g

Reaction score
Some say that a turn or two of tape on the threads acts as a lubricant and makes it easier to tighten the nut.

offgridman

Reaction score
OGM, just remember it's not the Chinese at fault. They make perfect kit - WHEN asked to do so and WHEN allowed (through price) to do so. It's carp because BUYERS do not wish to pay for quality.
It's no different to our job. When a customer pays for a good job they get a good job. When they pay peanuts they get rubbish!
Agreed. If stuff is supplied on basis of price only, that is what happens. What got me was the dodgy olives came from my normal supplier who is usually quality aware.
Not worth fitting cheap stuff. Just been out to sort an expensive Mira shower with its filter blocked by shards of chrome plating from the shiny but cheap compression fittings used on the pipework to it. Not my install, I hasten to add.

garygvl

GSR
Reaction score
its definitely fish night

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Top Bottom