Search the forum,

Discuss PTFE or Loctite577 on thread in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Most of my lockshield valves are the compression type onto the radiator tail. Have just installed a couple of the union type face to the tail lockshields. Smeared a bit of boss white on the face but am wondering if I should have used ptfe tape, or my preference loctite 577 on the actual union threads. No water in them yet so can do if you deem required.

Did they tighten up / tapered threads if not ptfe / loctite 55

Seemed to tighten okay but am wary. Just so that we are talking of the same part, I easily mislead you guys , attached is a pic.
The arrow is pointing to the area where inside there are 2 brass faces just pulled together by the screw action. As I say I have put a bit of boss white on the faces. Just wondering if that is enough as there is not the satisfying feel of an olive tightening up.

Attachments

• union.jpg
    union.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 3
That’s fine with boss white / joint compound I do the same

Reply to PTFE or Loctite577 on thread in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Fitted a towel radiator today, I ptfe taped the radiator tails, and after installation noticed the tails were leaking a tiny amount. So de-fitted, and smeared loctite 577 on the radiator tail threads. Reassembled, refitted and now wondering how long I have to wait until pressurising the system...
Replies
Views
Hi all I often find using ptfe tape with compression joints quite fiddly for my old hands, particularly in tight spaces. I was wondering if the ptfe liquid paste is a viable alternative? Does anyone on here prefer it? Thanks.
Replies
Views
Firstly im fitting some basin taps, ive now got the washers. Should i use ptfe tape on the basin tap tails/extension threads? If i should how much should i put on? Thanks Andrew.
Replies
Views
J
I have an Arteform shower valve in my bathroom - top lever for the main shower head, middle for the handheld hose and bottom is the thermostatic control. The hot was not getting hot enough recently so (under instructions from the manufacturer) I removed the allen key valves bottom left and right...
Replies
Views
Has anyone used this, and if so, what are your thoughts? From the descripton it sounds like it should work a bit like Loctite 577, but is loads cheaper. Im wondering if it would be good for rad tails and jointing up male / female irons...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock