Search the forum,

Discuss Problems with tap's cold water cartridge in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, my 2-handle kitchen mixer tap started dripping cold water. I've got it apart and am waiting for a new cold water, ceramic disc, 1/4 turn, cartridge to be delivered. Meanwhile I can't completely turn off the isolating (or service) valve, whose screwdriver slot is now knackered. So, with tap turned off there is a fast drip/stream which is worrying, but is why I've shelled out ÂŁ18 (it's got a long spigot, total length is 57 mm) for a new cartridge.
More worryingly, with the tap's handle and cover removed I found that the flow can be completely stopped by pressing upwards on the end of the exposed cartridge spigot (where the splines are). What could this indicate? And do you use any silicon grease (on the O-rings, maybe) when sliding a new cartridge into position?

If I also decide to replace the isolating valve - 15 mm push-fit, plastic, with just a screwdriver slot, no lever - is there a good DiY method to squeeze the plastic end sleeves into the body in order to slide the valve off the pipe, in the tight confines of an under-sink kitchen cupboard? [photo attached]
I can just get a 5/8" open ended spanner over the pipes and was thinking Spanish windlass sort of set up to keep that spanner pushing inwards.
Thanks in advance, Phil. 20221102_221537.jpg

They wear and that sometimes causes a leak.
Can occasionally be packed out in a pinch by adding something to the rubber seal in the base of the cartridge (like a few wraps of ptfe) but not generally worth bothering.
The valves should come off OK. You could disconnect pushfit fittings underneath for better leverage if you struggle.
I'd consider taking off the trap for better access too.

Reply to Problems with tap's cold water cartridge in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock