Search the forum,

Discuss Problems with a Halsted Ace high in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dirty Den

I have an on going problem with my boiler that has the blokes from British gas flumuxed.
Have lived at my current address for the past six year with no boiler problems until November, when the central heating came on without any demand and no hot water.

British gas came out and replaced the circuit board and represssurised, problem solved!

No a few weeks later it happened again, at this point we noticed that there was a slight water leak coming from inside so told the plumber when he arrived. He couldn't find the leak but changed the circuit board and covered it in gaffer tape to protect it from the leak if it came back.

A week or so later we noticed that the boiler pressure had dropped down to half a bar and locked out along with a small puddle of water.

British gas came out and replaced the timer and PCB.

a month later and the boiler is still losing pressure and locking out, and leaking a small amount of water at least once a week.

British gas come out change the PRV valve still can't find where the leak is coming from repressurise and leave.

the next morning the boiler has locked out the pressure has dropped to half a bar there's a small puddle, so we decide to live with it reset the pressure to one bar and keep an eye on the leak to try and find out when it happens and from where.

well the boiler starts playing up on a regular basis the pressure seems to rise very slowly even when there is no heating on or hot water running, it then vents at some point during the night and locks out probably every other morning before the wife gets in the shower it is at this point that it seems to leak, from where I don't know as I can't see through the front cover, but as long as we reset the pressure it seems to work at least for a couple of day.

But last night we woke up to what sounded like a kid slowly running a toy car over one of the down stars rads, it was at this point that we noticed that the heating was on without being set to do so and was running red hot. Went to have a look and the boiler is making a horrible racket the red locked out light is on but the system is still firing so I switch it of at the plug and phone yes you know who.

the wife waits in all day, only for two plumbers to um and ah and scratch there heads and say well we could change the Prv valve again but we're nit sure if that's what's wrong with it maybe you should just turn it off at the plug when you don't need heat or hot water, most helpful.

Sorry to sound upset and yes I now it's a boiler with expensive replacement parts but I can't afford to replace it and we can't afford to keep taking time off work waiting for British gas. So has any one had a similar problem and how was it fixed or what might be a likley cause for my persistent boiler troubles. Oh and thanks for taking the time to read this massive essay.

Cheers Den

Last edited by a moderator:
you might wish to reconsider the merits of bg, but all we can advice is get the leak sorted first to remove one problem then see whats causing the misfiring issue. As detailed in the header we cant discuss the problem in detail on this part of the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers, I was just looking for possible suggestions as to the cause of the leak that I get only when it's cold. So that I could pass them on to bg. Apparently they can't contact Hasted for advice as its a premium rate number. Could it be muck in the system, they haven't flushed it through but did offer to sell me a magna booster which makes me think that gunk in the filler loop might be causing the problem. A plumber at work also thought it may be the expansion vessel, but they would be reluctant to change that as it would mean taking the boiler of the wall to get to it.

it sounds like a common and easily resolved fault call in an independant who knows their stuff, please see header at top re advice on gas appliances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Problems with a Halsted Ace high in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock