Search the forum,

Discuss Problem with Salus RT 500 thermostat in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

We have a Salus RT500 thermostat controlling the combi boiler. It works OK on the timer but if we want a boost before having a bath we scroll the temperature up to about 30 degrees. The boiler will fire up but it switches itself off after about 2 or 3 minutes. Any suggestions? Contacting Salus Technical helpline was no help. Surprise, surprise.

We have a Salus RT500 thermostat controlling the combi boiler. It works OK on the timer but if we want a boost before having a bath we scroll the temperature up to about 30 degrees. The boiler will fire up but it switches itself off after about 2 or 3 minutes. Any suggestions? Contacting Salus Technical helpline was no help. Surprise, surprise.
If you have thermostatic radiator valves (TRVs) these may be limiting the power that can be emitted by the radiators. The boiler may be detecting this condition and shutting down to prevent damage.

" Contacting Salus Technical helpline was no help. Surprise, surprise"
Probably because there is no fault with the Salus unit.

If the boiler shuts down that quick you have a circulation issue.
Suggest you get a heating technician to attend to it.

What are you boosting the heating for more hot water ?

But your whole house is going to heat up so better off just adjust the program to stay on until 10.30

" Contacting Salus Technical helpline was no help. Surprise, surprise"
Probably because there is no fault with the Salus unit.

If the boiler shuts down that quick you have a circulation issue.
Suggest you get a heating technician to attend to it.
But the boiler will stay on for 4 hours at a time when working from the programmer so don't think there is a circulation problem.

Does the system have a pump outside the boiler? If so, I think it's possible that you have a wiring / configuration issue whereby the Salus turns on the boiler but not the pump but the programmer turns on both. Three minutes is also a possible 'pump overun time', which may be significant from the point of view of diagnosing what the problem is.

I suggest you get a heating engineer or electrician 'who does heating controls' to investigate.

Does the system have a pump outside the boiler? If so, I think it's possible that you have a wiring / configuration issue whereby the Salus turns on the boiler but not the pump but the programmer turns on both. Three minutes is also a possible 'pump overun time', which may be significant from the point of view of diagnosing what the problem is.

I suggest you get a heating engineer or electrician 'who does heating controls' to investigate.
Thanks for that Chuck. I will probably do that or maybe invest in a Honeywell as a lot of revues suggest. I think it is significant that Northern Gas Heating, who installed my boiler, no longer use Salus programmers.

Does the Salus setting stay at 30 after the boiler has cut off?
It may have settings to stop a large boost increase and or to limit the upper temperature.

Have you tried just raising the temperature by a few degrees and see if it holds the boiler on?
If so try a few more and see at what point it starts to switch off.

Has it worked in the past by boosting to 30?

Are ALL radiator TRV,s are turned UP to MAX or different settings in places?, hoping this,ll continue the heating to work after last shut down to dissipate. How many Rads on system?
Check the timer settings??

Reply to Problem with Salus RT 500 thermostat in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock