Search the forum,

Discuss Problem with Salus RT 500 thermostat in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

We have a Salus RT500 thermostat controlling the combi boiler. It works OK on the timer but if we want a boost before having a bath we scroll the temperature up to about 30 degrees. The boiler will fire up but it switches itself off after about 2 or 3 minutes. Any suggestions? Contacting Salus Technical helpline was no help. Surprise, surprise.

We have a Salus RT500 thermostat controlling the combi boiler. It works OK on the timer but if we want a boost before having a bath we scroll the temperature up to about 30 degrees. The boiler will fire up but it switches itself off after about 2 or 3 minutes. Any suggestions? Contacting Salus Technical helpline was no help. Surprise, surprise.
If you have thermostatic radiator valves (TRVs) these may be limiting the power that can be emitted by the radiators. The boiler may be detecting this condition and shutting down to prevent damage.

" Contacting Salus Technical helpline was no help. Surprise, surprise"
Probably because there is no fault with the Salus unit.

If the boiler shuts down that quick you have a circulation issue.
Suggest you get a heating technician to attend to it.

What are you boosting the heating for more hot water ?

But your whole house is going to heat up so better off just adjust the program to stay on until 10.30

" Contacting Salus Technical helpline was no help. Surprise, surprise"
Probably because there is no fault with the Salus unit.

If the boiler shuts down that quick you have a circulation issue.
Suggest you get a heating technician to attend to it.
But the boiler will stay on for 4 hours at a time when working from the programmer so don't think there is a circulation problem.

Does the system have a pump outside the boiler? If so, I think it's possible that you have a wiring / configuration issue whereby the Salus turns on the boiler but not the pump but the programmer turns on both. Three minutes is also a possible 'pump overun time', which may be significant from the point of view of diagnosing what the problem is.

I suggest you get a heating engineer or electrician 'who does heating controls' to investigate.

Does the system have a pump outside the boiler? If so, I think it's possible that you have a wiring / configuration issue whereby the Salus turns on the boiler but not the pump but the programmer turns on both. Three minutes is also a possible 'pump overun time', which may be significant from the point of view of diagnosing what the problem is.

I suggest you get a heating engineer or electrician 'who does heating controls' to investigate.
Thanks for that Chuck. I will probably do that or maybe invest in a Honeywell as a lot of revues suggest. I think it is significant that Northern Gas Heating, who installed my boiler, no longer use Salus programmers.

Does the Salus setting stay at 30 after the boiler has cut off?
It may have settings to stop a large boost increase and or to limit the upper temperature.

Have you tried just raising the temperature by a few degrees and see if it holds the boiler on?
If so try a few more and see at what point it starts to switch off.

Has it worked in the past by boosting to 30?

Are ALL radiator TRV,s are turned UP to MAX or different settings in places?, hoping this,ll continue the heating to work after last shut down to dissipate. How many Rads on system?
Check the timer settings??

Reply to Problem with Salus RT 500 thermostat in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I'm having issues with my wireless Honeywell thermostat. It's sat in the living room, set at 18C currently. It makes my Worcester Greenstar 18Ri to short cycle. So, the moment it gets cold outside my boiler works for about a minute, then stops, and starts again in about 5 minutes, then...
Replies
Views
the majority of my radiators have thermostatic valves. Some of these work fine but some of them dont let you adjust the temp. ie. Setting one or setting 5 makes no difference - the radiator is blazing hot. For small bedrooms this is pain cos the room just heats up too much. we first...
Replies
Views
We have recently moved into a property which has a Worcester Greenstar Highflow 440 Standalone Combi gas boiler. This appears to be a relatively old unit however, it is still in great working condition and has been serviced on a regular basis. I'd like to add a Nest Thermostat to control the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction please. We have an old traditional old Potterton E50 boiler with an old Honeywell time switch and a more recent Salus wireless thermostat. I have completely powered down and re-set the Honeywell and Salus a couple of times and...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi Could I ask for some help with a water flow rate problem. I have good mains water pressure on the ground floor. There is no tank in the loft but an unvented cylinder in the upstairs airing cupboard. A gas heat only boiler. Upstairs I have two en suite rooms. One with a shower and one with...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock