Search the forum,

Discuss Problem with old towel rad pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all

My first post here and after a little advice, please.

I have a downstairs shower room and the old towel rail (now thrown away) had pipes that are under the concrete floor. Since throwing the old rad and refurbishing the room I’ve noticed the pipes are an odd size.
The centres are 425mm and can’t find another rad anywhere that fits this size.

I have picked up a 450mm wide towel rad from my local merchant and the centres on this are 410mm.

Is there any way that I can bring the old pipes in somehow without getting a plumber round to sort it??

Am I able to use plastic via compression fits to the existing copper coming out the floor??
Was thinking this way there would be some flex to make up the additional 7.5mm each side?

Hopefully this makes sense.

Thank you

Chris

You could use a pipe bender to bend some copper pipe to make up the difference, would look nicer than plastic imo.

Thanks for the reply, only problem is I don’t have a pipe bender and working on a tight budget. I was going to use the chrome cover you can get.

I was just unsure as to whether I could go from the fittings already there, to the rad but in plastic and pressure fits? If so, what would I need to buy exactly??

Thanks again

You can use compression fittings coming out the floor and then go to plastic, it would look untidy though and as the pipe wouldn't be straight, the chrome wrap you mention wouldn't go round it all that well. Personally I would take the towel rail back and shop around, there will be towel rails that fit 425mm centres.

Carefully chop the floor out to expose pipes for say 200 mm moving copper pipe 12.5 mm each should not be a problem.

Any pics of the existing rad ?

One straight rad valve and one bent rad valve with a stump of pipe and an elbow

Hi, thanks for your replies. We have been thinking more about this and think we know will put a standard rad in there as opposed to a towel radiator. This I think (I’m not a plumber) would be a straight forward option wouldn’t it? Would I just have to change the valves from being straight to the right angle ones? If the pipes are 425mm centres, would I need to get say a 350mm wide rad and use telescopic valves to make up the difference?? Wasn’t sure how much to allow either side for the valves?

pic?

Reply to Problem with old towel rad pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock