Search the forum,

Discuss Problem with burned baffle Baxi Solo in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

M

Mike T

Hi Folks, Thanks for allowing me to join the forum. I have some engineering knowledge but would not touch a gas boiler!
I have a maintenance contract and the engineer came to check my Baxi Solo 2 PF for its annual service / inspection. On opening up there were lots of tutting noises. As I was chatting to him as he worked he explained that there were lots of bits at the bottom of the heat eaxchanger / burner unit. A bracket had been fitted the wrong way round, allowing the ceramic side piece and baffle to fall onto the burner. The baffle was a mass of broken and rusty pieces. The baffle is now an obsolete part. The rest of the boiler is as new but they are saying that it could be a new boiler required!!! Any comments appreciated. Part number BAX231337.

You had me until you said you were an engineer as that always fills me with dread. Simple answer with this is how long have they been doing your maintenance contract?? If they have done it the past few years unless anyone else has been tampering(????) it must be them that’s done the bracket around the wrong way??

They have been doing it for two years and this would be the third service. I agree, it seems it should be down to the last service engineer. (I'm a mechanical engineer by the way! :)) Baxi tell me there are no spares as obsolete.

Then I’d be putting a strongly worded correspondence together for your maintenance company. If they’ve looked the past few years then this damage must only have been caused in the last 12 months. No one else to blame if no one else has been in there. Make sure you have it in writing that the engineer said someone has installed the bracket wrong

And I wasn’t having a dig about engineering. We get a large number who engineer and think that they can turn their hand to anything, illegal or not

Then I’d be putting a strongly worded correspondence together for your maintenance company. If they’ve looked the past few years then this damage must only have been caused in the last 12 months. No one else to blame if no one else has been in there. Make sure you have it in writing that the engineer said someone has installed the bracket wrong
Nothing in writing unfortunately but I was standing beside him as he stripped the boiler apart. Such a shame if my boiler is going to have to be replaced for a few quid baffle. There are probably hundreds of them sitting on old boilers or in stores! Over the past few years it has had a new fan, a new heat exchanger and a new circuit board. He did say that it's like new in there. You could see the mark on the insulation where the hot baffle had fallen down!

I’d quote that at them and say why was this missed. I suspect they’ll try and wriggle out but ask the question

I’d quote that at them and say why was this missed. I suspect they’ll try and wriggle out but ask the question
Thank you so much for your time and patience. At the end of the day, it looks like it's going to mean a new boiler and a lot of arguing!!! I don't want to get the guy into trouble but I know what I saw and if I'd done something like that, I would hold my hands up to it. I asked about the chap who serviced the boiler previously (he was a bit of a character) and he told me that he was no longer with the company (accompanied by a raise of the eyebrows!).

Granted it’s all hearsay and yes it will likely be a new boiler however this firm sound like they’ve caused this problem

........................................... Such a shame if my boiler is going to have to be replaced for a few quid baffle. There are probably hundreds of them sitting on old boilers or in stores!
Stupid thing to say!

Reply to Problem with burned baffle Baxi Solo in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock