Search the forum,

Discuss Problem in soldering drain cock on a tee in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iwico

HI

I used a very small gas torch to soldering 2 of 22mm copper water pipes on copper tee (22mmX22mmX15mm) successfuly few days ago.

Now I need soldering a copper drain cock on 15mm end of the tee. For some reason I unable finish the job. I think is because the gas torch is too small.

So I bought a new bigger (name: Go System) Gas torch (Miximum Temperature 1370 degree). But when I tried again, looks like the temperature still not enough, I heat the parts for more than ten minutes (some parts is become red). I can add solder onto the gap and the solder is very soft. But the only different thing from I soldering 22mm pipes is: this soft solder will not go into the gap between the drain cock and 15mm hole, what ever I heat, the solder looks like set on top of the gap, does not go inside gap.

I do not know what I do wrong? I clean the two parts and add soldering flux on both side, then place the drain cock into a 15mm hole of the tee. Then use the gas torch heat the parts up to a point I can add solder on it. Looks like everthing is normal, but the problem is the solder cannot attach to the tee and drain cock, no stick. just set on top of the gap, if I add too much solder, the extra solder will drop to ground. After they are cooled, they can be push apart by my fingers.

Is the gas torch still not biger enough? I can see the parts are heated very hot, the solder is soft to add. Only stranger is the soft solder set on the gap (no drop and no go inside the gap). Usuall if the parts is hot enoght, the solder set on the gap will become liquid shape then go inside the gap. But this is not happened, the solder not go inside the gap, no drop to ground either (only if I add too much solder, the extra solder will drop to ground).

I am really do not know what I do wrong. Hope someone help me.

Thanks in front.

Chin

sounds like you are getting it too hot

have you also taken the drain off to pieces or you will damage the rubber washer inside

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Thanks for the help.

I did take all parts of the drain cock off, before start soldering.

Does I heat the parts too hot? How do I know it is a good tempreture?

Regards

keep touching the joint with the solder when it runs in the joint take the flame away.

start from scratch, clean everything first, add flux and solder as described and dont overheat one area too much run the flame around the joint evenly

apply your heat aroung the centre of the Tee, maybe a touch closer to the joint but no directly on the drain cock

then stroke your solder on to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Problem in soldering drain cock on a tee in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock