Search the forum,

Discuss Problem concerning WC pan connectors in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I have bought a new close-coupled WC that will be installed by a plumber. The plumber and I are currently in discussion about how it should be connected to the drain hole in the concrete floor. The situation is as follows.

The technical drawing of the manufacturer (Armitage Shanks) indicates that, with the cistern flat against the wall behind, the end of the outlet from the pan will overhang the drain hole by about 20mm. As far as my searches on the Internet allow, 90° pan connectors are for really for situations where the pan outlet does not overhang the drain hole. And most (if not all) swan neck pan connectors appear to be for situations where the pan outlet overhangs the drain hole by a lot more than 20mm. And there doesn’t appear to be anything in between.

And I am reluctant to consider bringing the pan forward by separating the cistern from the wall behind by a wooden batten.

One idea that I am considering is to shorten a 90° pan connector so that it fits into an offset pan connector to bring it back into line with the drain hole? The whole arrangement would therefore be effectively “swan neck”. Some quick searches on the Internet reveal a number of offset pan connectors with offsets between 20mm and 40mm. But I don’t know whether such an arrangement is feasible and advisable, or whether it might possibly contravene current UK building regulations.

If at all possible, I would like to avoid the use of a flexible pan connector. They don’t look neat and I don’t like the thought of the accumulation of “sludge” in the crevices.

Any suggestions please?

Visuals often work best for me, can you post a photo of the drain, and the toilet to be installed?

Visuals often work best for me, can you post a photo of the drain, and the toilet to be installed?
Thank you, but it is a little difficult because, in order to keep the original post as short as possible, I did not explain the whole situation.

In reality, my plumber has already attempted to install the new WC by reusing the 90° pan connector from the old WC. The attached photo shows the situation as best as I can. The pan connector has been pushed back as far as the drain hole will allow, but the pan is still about 20mm further away from the back wall than it should be, according to Armitage Shanks's technical drawing. As a result, the cistern is leaning backwards. At the top of the cistern, it is screwed to the wall but, at the bottom of the cistern, there is a gap of about 20mm between it and the wall.

This situation is not satisfactory and my plumber agrees. That is why we are now discussing possible solutions and I am looking for ideas to input into that discussion.

Pan connector and new WC.jpg

Last edited:
Dear Tony,

Here is my amateur take:

Aside: I'm with you on flexis. Ok perhaps for a temporary job . . .

My thinking is just batten it off the wall as you say. I've got two like that. Check also you have it straight sideways (One of mine was about 4 inches out). You could perhaps paint the batten top to match the wallpaper main colour if you really want, and/or add a splashback to hide the gap. I just celebrate it.

Yes, one fine day I'll do it properly and move the wall and/or the drains. . .

Cheers,

Roy. (Very amateur at all trades)

I would personally use an MKO2 multikwi or equivalent, a rigid/semi rigid piece in between, such as a cut off section of an mkea, the the 90 pan connector into that.

Swan neck pan connector should work or a mcalpine con 8 maybe

Eg

Attachments

• 43F71B18-DBC6-45C3-AA3F-6E68D80F54E7.png
    43F71B18-DBC6-45C3-AA3F-6E68D80F54E7.png
    235 KB · Views: 7
  • 69D17E45-7C70-435D-A6C5-29A2B06BE43C.png
    69D17E45-7C70-435D-A6C5-29A2B06BE43C.png
    258.8 KB · Views: 7
Would the wc pan not hit the tail of swan connector 1st? That said, looks like it could work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would personally use an MKO2 multikwi or equivalent, a rigid/semi rigid piece in between, such as a cut off section of an mkea, the the 90 pan connector into that.
Thank you. I'm sorry though, but I don't fully understand what you wrote. I can see that the MKO2 is an offset connector with an 18mm offset. And I also see that there is an MKO4 with a 40mm offset.

But I don't understand the relevance of the Mkea. Can't the MKO2 be pushed directly into the drain hole? And then a shortened 90° pan connector pushed into the MKO2?

But I don't understand the relevance of the Mkea. Can't the MKO2 be pushed directly into the drain hole? And then a shortened 90° pan connector pushed into the MKO2?
Pan connectors aren’t supposed to just push into each other, as they may not seal correctly, so a piece (short stub) of soil pipe or a cut off piece of an extension piece (mkea).

Thank you. But, as I see it, the "head" of the McAlpine swan neck pan connector in the technical drawing is set back, and so it looks as though the end of the pan outlet would have to overhang to the midway point over the drain hole (that is, 40mm to 50mm) for the connector to be useful. But, when the my WC pan is correctly positioned so that the cistern is upright and flat against the back wall, the overhang is only 20mm.

Are there any swan neck pan connectors that can accommodate such a small overhang?

Would the wc pan not hit the tail of swan connector 1st? That said, looks like it could work.
Sorry, but I don't understand what the "tail" is in this context. However, I have already replied to ShaunCorbs regarding the McAlpine swan neck pan connector that he suggested. I don't think that one will work.

A stnd con 8 should fit then

Why might the WC-CON8 work when the 90° pan connector that I already have doesn't work?
Try to compare the technical drawing between the McAlpine and yours, I think the McAlpine is slightly longer connecting to the pan.

Reply to Problem concerning WC pan connectors in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock