Search the forum,

Discuss Probation inspector appointment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

brahamo123

Gas Engineer
Hi guys

Help please, I have received an inspection appointment after couple of days from registration as a business .which wasn't my intention .( wanted just a license ). And I was wondering what part 1 and part 2 all about? , and haven't done much work alone most of the work I did was with an engineer whom I work with .
Is part 1 and part 2 will be in the same day?
will 3 boiler services be enough ?( my friends houses )

Part 1 of the inspection will include an inspection of your gas work records and may include a technical assessment. This will be conducted at your business address stated above. Part 2 of the inspection will follow immediately and will require you to arrange (with your customers permission), access for up to three different sites for our inspector to inspect the gas appliances you have installed. Alternatively, if you undertake servicing and/or maintenance activities you can arrange to take us to customers where you have planned works. Part of this inspection process will require you to show our Inspector how you carry out the necessary safety checks in the areas of gas work you undertake. Please ensure that you have the appropriate tools and equipment available to carry out any tests or gas work that may be required. If you have any questions about the monitoring process, or need clarification on any points raised in this letter, please do not hesitate to call our Scheduling Department where one of the team will be happy to help you.

any advice will be most welcome .

Last edited:
When you first sign to gas safe you are on a probationary period until you are inspected. My guy came and watched me service my bosses boiler and was happy with that, it did involve a call to national grid though so boss was not happy, but I passed so all was well.
I was asked lots of questions while I was doing inspection,test pressures, Meter faults, and lots of what if this happens what would you do.
Your be fine if you know the basics and if your not sure make certain you have your book with you as a reference, I had to look up the gas rate calcs

The guy in our area has always be good, as long as he can see you're safe and know what you're talking about you should be fine! Just remember to do the small things and make a point of it - spraying the test nipple after a tightness test, they love that!

My guy was really hot on volt pens, wanted me to prove it then touch the boiler case and anything metallic around it first. Apparently there has been a death from a live wire on an extractor hood next to a boiler, the engineers head hit it and zapped him

Definitely worth investing in. This is a boiler I looked at earlier this year in a school.

20150211_141218.jpg

Seen my workmate get a nasty zap when he put the key in the lock of an outside electrical cabinet where we were isolating the pump, everything inside the cabinet was dripping wet.

I've not had an inpspection for years. Do they go through the records on every inspection. or just probationers?

2 pairs of crocodile clamps (back to the original question)

Last edited:
I've seen a house where all pipework had gone live so now always test and last touch before commencing work

trouble is that you get cocky again over time, the 6 months after I grasped a cylinder and did an irish jig for a bit meant I tested and isolated everything for a while, now it gets the back of my had before I start :)

i've got my inspection on the 4th December, i knew it was coming but it's still additional stress. i'm sure they are not there to fail but but just confirm you are safe. as long as i do what i was taught and don't do something stupid them i'm sure i will be fine. if you dont know an answer just be honest rather than trying to bluff them and do what you would out on a job and find the answers in you books.
Brahmo123 when is your inspection? you'll have to let me know how you get on.

Well mine is until the 16th December .. Hope you get on well , good luck Jamie
Let me know how you get on please .. I'm a bit worried thanks

Ive just had my probationary inspection yesterday i got very nervous running up to the day but its just going through the steps you were taught and have already done.I made my appointment at a regular customers house that had a boiler and gas fire to service they didnt need servicing but thats not the point.
Meeting started with a coffee and a chat a few questions about your gas work hisory and a check on what labels /notices i carry and we moved to the boiler quick visual inspection of appliance and M/F instructions
I was asked to do a drop test so i just took my time and made double sure i did it by the book and explain to him why i was doing each step of the test
Next was using my analyser on the boiler fired boiler up and gave it time to get up to temperature and using the manufactures instruction to explain readings i was looking for he asked what steps for commissioning a new boiler with my analyser
next was to gas rate appliance i asked if he was happy for me to use a app on my phone to rate boiler no problem he said as long as you come up with he correct answer
a few more basic questions no trick questions just everyday things
2 1/2 hours and that was it .

no reason to worry not there to catch you out just want to make sure your safe

good luck Adrian

Thanks Adrian for sharing that was helpful .. Still getting ready for my day .. Yesterday I got my new analyser .. And I've got two friends will do boiler servicing thinking to take the inspector to their houses ..
Thanks again

Tightness test,checking high and low readings and gas rate,working pressure and meter and operating pressure at appliance.also he may ask questions on ventilation I.e fires and cookers in kitchens.if you don't know just say hang on and get ur book out as even if it takes you all day and you get the question right that will be good enough.its just showing him that u can find the answer even if u don't know.

I got a chart with my receipt and my card through the post. To use this and log all my work details.
Also have had an email.
Just can't believe it sometimes. . Jheez had someone ask me for a gas certificate and low and behold. It was just immediate stop. The cooker only two out of four burners and no spark safety devices not working. The boiler elbow on top of housing not inserted fully. A magnitizer leaking water. Work has started even before it had begin
This is a task I'd avoid to attend at this probation status.. what a mouthful

Brahamo,
I had my inspection on Thursday. It was so daunting. I know how serious gas is, but God he was so down the line, and never had much banter, to put me at ease. The inspection went well for me and I am not 'on probation' no more. Lots of technical questions, with a good phase of show me tell me. Please see list below of what I was asked to do.
Installs looked at boiler and gas hob.
Let by- temp stab and tightness test (yeh but why questions)
Standing and working pressures at meter.
Gas rates/but ( he said I could use an app, but I declined just to show I could do it the paper way)
Pipe sizing
Lots of tech questions on MIs just to make sure I knew how to read them I think.
Commissioning, working pressure, FGA etc
26/9 questions
Fires - ventilation
Flue flow and leakage tests
Pipe sizing

He was here for 4 hours, and it was so intense. But a good result at the end mate. I made no mistakes and just told him what he wanted to hear. I also learnt a lot from him in the end.

Good luck with yours on the 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Probation inspector appointment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock