Search the forum,

Discuss Primatic Cylinder help needed in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello everyone

Before I succumb to this problem I’m reaching out for some help. There’s very little info on the web and I can’t get hold of a manual. The system is ancient but we’re not ready to renovate to a greener option for another 12 months so hoping to keep it going.
Moved in with the family about 4 months ago.

My problem is the system will heat all three down stairs radiators 100% but nothing on the three upstairs. After I bleed them it’s nothing, no pressure when I fully remove the bleed valve.

It’s a primatic system with only the one cold feed tank above the cylinder in the cupboard. Nothing but a TV Ariel in the loft. There are no shut off valves at the cylinder.

I can’t see a single check valve, I was told these can get stuck. But it does have a really old pump but this seems to still be working although the screw cap has seized and I can’t remove it. I have put my ear to the screwdriver touching the pump and I can hear whizzing. Plus either side of the pump is hot (could it still be faulty?)

How it alm started was one radiator kept needing to be bled so I decided to remove all the radiators and flush them out with a hose, it was like black ink. Attached all radiators switched heating on and all but another radiator came on. The valve was stuck and disintegrated on me so I decided to flush the system after I installed a drain valve and replace the valve. Since then we have no heat goes up stairs.

The cylinder is fine as I can slowly refill (done it 4 times) to get the pressure bubble back.

Can the pump still be in fault?
What’s the best way to trace a blockage?
I can’t use inhibitor on this system but could I use vinegar?

Any advice please as it’s doing my head in now. Thanks

Ps closed all rads downstairs and opened one upstairs and nothing happens.
Also closed all radiators off and disconnected both valves and still nothing.

Attachments

• 505C69C5-A7F1-444E-AFCA-7D15C59FA6B9.jpeg
    505C69C5-A7F1-444E-AFCA-7D15C59FA6B9.jpeg
    566.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 6DBB6EBE-D1F2-4F2B-9A3B-82611A00631C.jpeg
    6DBB6EBE-D1F2-4F2B-9A3B-82611A00631C.jpeg
    485.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 1A94F6C7-943F-4578-A0CF-B06B3CBAAFE7.jpeg
    1A94F6C7-943F-4578-A0CF-B06B3CBAAFE7.jpeg
    506.6 KB · Views: 15
  • A90A353D-3A5A-4029-A991-3CB22FE0DD3C.jpeg
    A90A353D-3A5A-4029-A991-3CB22FE0DD3C.jpeg
    422.7 KB · Views: 15
That pump is probably 50 years old!
Looks like a s m c to me and should never have been fitted that way up.
Primatic cylinders just bad news have you had discoloured hot water yet?
If you do have a blockage non of normal methods are much use no chemicals or mains back flushing.
Maybe try going round pipework with a magnet see if it sticks anywhere.

Thanks for the reply mate.
I reckoned it was that old. I did get the brown water but made it right again when I drained the whole system and got the pressure bubble back. Very very slowly 🙄

Think your right with the magnet. 👍

Did you get them last 3 rads full ?

So all the rads are full of water now what’s the boiler doing ?

No, sorry mate. I’d taken all rads off, hosed them clean. All were then refitted. Slowly filled the system to build the pressure bubble. One valve was stuck which disintegrated on me needing a replacement. So then I fitted a drain valve, drained the system, fitted new valve, refilled the system and now no water or pressure in the rads upstairs. 🤷‍♂️

Thanks for the reply mate.
I reckoned it was that old. I did get the brown water but made it right again when I drained the whole system and got the pressure bubble back. Very very slowly 🙄

Think your right with the magnet. 👍
Don't think primatic works well with a pump, loss of airlock.

Don't think primatic works well with a pump, loss of airlock.
Yeah, I did read this but I’ve inherited the system and the pump looks like it’s been installed since day 1. The radiator in question has got hot, not fully, about 3\4. It bought me some time, but I’ll probably dig a magnate out this week and go hunting for a blockage.

Reply to Primatic Cylinder help needed in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock