Search the forum,

Discuss pretend plumber new to the community Hi, in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

whitehouse

Hi everybody I'm a pretend plumber (bathroom fitter).Are there any boiler experts out there that can help? I have a Potterton profile 80E boiler that has never worked properly since i moved in 4 years ago but my wife and I have put up with it as it does work to a degree. I've had a friend look at it who is a gas boiler engineer but I'm not convinced in his diagnosis.There are a number of problems.1 The potterton ep 2000 timer control lcd screen has blead and is not working so we have to turn the boiler on by the fused spur. 2,when we do turn the boiler on it sounds like theres a clicking/clunking like a relay switch? noise this goes on for 30 minutes or so then that stops and the pilot ignites for a few seconds then goes out then it comes on etc... this goes on for another 20 minutes then finally it stays alight until we turn the boiler off .When we turn the boiler back on we usually have to press the thermal cut out button underneath the boiler. Any professional comments wound be appreciated... Many thanks Martin

sounds like a couple of seperate and serious problems,
if the timer clock face has gone, then surely you dont know what the setting are?
firstly replace that.
if you are physically having to turn the boiler off, the pump i assume is off as well, and probably due to lack of circulation pops the thermal cut out.
the clicking ??? maybe your cct board relay switches are sticking.

sounds like you youve had an electrical problem thats possibly blown the board and screen. tho without being there it is difficult to fault find.

if you need to replace the units, weigh up the costs for a new boiler.

what was your engineers verdict?

good luck
shaun

Hi Sean thanks for reply. Timer not working just time display bleed but can make out! My mate agreed with you on cct board switches sticking! We are moving so dont want to pay out anymore than we have to! Have seen a second hand potterton boiler for sale would you recommend this as a cheaper option! ÂŁ250 v ÂŁ450!

mif you are sure the second hand one works, and your gas engineer is happy to fit it, then its a valid option. i know many including myself that wont touch second hand stuff, for good reason, dont forget to download a manual, so all safety features can be checked, gas rated etc, and a usable instruction manual has to be left with end user. also data plate on boiler has to exist !!

also if your moving house, a new boiler would be a better option for your home info pack.

i wouldnt personally bother with a repair to old one. personal opinion if it were my house. new boiler. but then again i know a good plumber!!

best of luck
shaun

I agree with Shaun fit a new one
several times in my experience when I have tried to move a boiler from one position to another in the same house even ! I have come to re-commision the boiler it wouldn't work !! then your looking at repairing it on top just to get it going

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to pretend plumber new to the community Hi, in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Here are some similar plumbing topics

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock