Search the forum,

Discuss Pressurised system problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

larch731

I have a pressurised system run off an oil fired boiler. The pump is on the return. The system appears to run from the bolier straight into the immersion tank and then onto the radiators. There is a thermostat at the bottom of the tank which appears to control the pump. I have a problem where the radiators upstairs work (excluding the bathroom) but none of the down stairs work unless you turn off the upstairs rads.
My plumber has tried putting a valve in to shut off the flow to the tank , this appeared to make very little difference, he then tried putting a larger pump into the flow side , this made little difference , in fact the pump burnt out ( we don't know if it was a faulty pump as it was cheap or some blockage). We have now power blasted the whole system and put a pump back into the return (not wishing to risk another burnt out pump), but we are back to square one.
I think the system may have been originally a gravity fed system as there used to be a Franco Belge in the kitchen which used to feed the system and I think the present system was cobbled from this. Is it possible there is a 'gravity' valve in the system which has clogged ?.
Anyone reading this will probably become aware I know nothing about central heating systems. Help would be greatly appreciated.
PS Both my plumber and boiler service engineer say that they have never seen a system like this !

I would say you just need to balance the system

But the flow should not go through the cylinder before going to heating circuit

If this is the case. Have a re pipe of controls

But try balancing rads first

Thanks Simon. How do I do this , I don't want to keep calling the plumber As Xmas is near and cash short. As I have said I have had a motorised valve put into isolate the tank which is not at present wired this I am isolating manually.

Turn all rads off on one valve. I reccomened the left (providing you have not got a trv on this side)

Fire boiler

Go to closest rad to boiler

Open closed valve 1/2 turn

Wait 2min. See if either pipe gets warm going to rad

If not open valve 1/4 of turn extra

Repeat working away from boiler

Go back to first rad. Waiting about 10 min atleast. If rad is not hot enough.

Open valve 1/4 turn more. Repeat on other rads

Repeat process till satisfied

Shild of said that further away from boiler you will notice you are opening the valves alot more

Thanks Simon. I shall give this a try tomorrow. Any thoughts on why the other pump burned out when put into the flow ?. As I said it was a cheap pump off Flea bay. Thanks again

Says it all

Spend the £££
Buy a Grundfos

Still having problems, I have balanced the system as best as I can , it is a bit better but I still have 4 radiators which don't work however one is a slight bit of warmth.
Before ballancing the system I bled each rad and I had air in the bathroom rad ( I had it in the same rad before).
Also my pump runs all the time and seems to be controlled from a stat which is at the bottom of the hot water tank. The pump runs when I turn this stat up, however should this happen as I have had a valve put in to bypass the tank.

System seems to have got worse again, I have noticed that on two occasions I have had air in one of the radiators , I think this is third in line (hard to tell as system has been added to at least three times by previous owners). On the last occasion there was a significant ammount of air.
One thing I forgot to mention was that the pressure vesel filled up with water about a year ago, however it has not done this since and I had the vesel repressurised.
Upon innitial start up there is a gushing sound , could this be air ?. I have tried ballancing the system but to no success , does it have to be done in a different way when TRV valves?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pressurised system problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock