Search the forum,

Discuss Pressure relief valve install in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I will be soon be removing f and e tank and going to mains, i will be installing expansion kit in the cylinder cupboard, my only issue is i have no where to discharge my safety relief,
My question is can anyone see a problem with cutting in prv by the boiler as this would be a better discharge point as right by external wall.

Thanks

By law, this work needs to be done by a plumber who is qualified to work on unvented hot water systems (sometimes referred to as having a G3 ticket). They should also be a member of a competent persons' scheme and should be able to advise you on all aspects of the install.

By law, this work needs to be done by a plumber who is qualified to work on unvented hot water systems (sometimes referred to as having a G3 ticket). They should also be a member of a competent persons' scheme and should be able to advise you on all aspects of the install.

I’m guessing he means a heating system kit and not an unvented cylinder

I am g3 qualified and thats to do with unvented cylinders,sorry i think i posted to wrong forum, this would be a question for a expierence install heating engineer

Thanks anyway

You should know the answer but that’s a no you can’t move the prv away from the unvented cylinder

If you're G3 then you should have no problem deciding a suitable location for a PRV, whatever system it's fitted to.

Is the boiler suitable for use in a sealed system?

You may have confused people by saying "f and e tank and going to mains" instead of saying going to a sealed system

G3 has nothing to do with my question, yes boiler is suitable but thats not what i was asking, my copper cylinder is compatible as well if u like but thats not what im asking. as i said i posted to wrong group, people dont have the answer on this thread thats why they are going off the point, its fine i know its not a straight forward question,

Ok yes from gravity to sealed if thats where we are going!

Thanks

G3 has nothing to do with my question, yes boiler is suitable but thats not what i was asking, my copper cylinder is compatible as well if u like but thats not what im asking. as i said i posted to wrong group, people dont have the answer on this thread thats why they are going off the point, its fine i know its not a straight forward question,

Ok yes from gravity to sealed if thats where we are going!

Thanks

Then yes you can put the prv by the boiler

Hi

I will be soon be removing f and e tank and going to mains, i will be installing expansion kit in the cylinder cupboard, my only issue is i have no where to discharge my safety relief,
My question is can anyone see a problem with cutting in prv by the boiler as this would be a better discharge point as right by external wall.

Thanks
To be honest the way you put up the op wrong footed me, I also was confused about your conversion plans. you came to the correct forum be in no doubt of our competance
and now we can see your plans then you will get suitable advice . I would always site the
pressure relief as close to the pressure vessel as possible and with a direct and short path
to the outside...it really is a safety issue which superseeds cosmetics in my opinion
centralheatking

Thanks for the reply,

I understand what your saying ,but in theory if i cut in relief valve into return by boiler this in principle is still protecting system at 3 bar no matter where it has been installed on the circuit, my problem is ive never seen it done this way. Only ever seen with ch system kit,eg ex vessel/gauge/ press relief combo. It Would give me peace of mind that someone has done this before.

As i said in previous thread i have no where to discharge safety valve in cylinder cupboard without ripping up carpet etc

Any points anyone has why i cant do this please let me know,

Thanks

Thanks for the reply,

I understand what your saying ,but in theory if i cut in relief valve into return by boiler this in principle is still protecting system at 3 bar no matter where it has been installed on the circuit, my problem is ive never seen it done this way. Only ever seen with ch system kit,eg ex vessel/gauge/ press relief combo. It Would give me peace of mind that someone has done this before.

As i said in previous thread i have no where to discharge safety valve in cylinder cupboard without ripping up carpet etc

Any points anyone has why i cant do this please let me know,

Thanks
I am an expert in Pressurised Domestic Heating Systems for various reasons. I think it is dangerous to fit extended remote pressure vent terminals, they ought to go straight out without
any possibility of damage or restriction. I have never seen such an idea but that is not to state you cannot do it ....I would advise NO. centralheatking

Hows the house piped up ive seen over flows from f + e tanks and supply drop down from the loft into the a/c.
Under floorboards and outside.
Which you could then pick up and take to drain.

Ok thanks for advice

Just so you know, if i install press relief by boiler i will still be discharging to outside.

Also i will be fitting ch system kit upstsirs, filling loop, vessel etc, i will just plug off port for press relief and install by boiler instead

Hope thats more clearer

Also have u got a reason why you believe its unsafe?

Thanks again for advice.

Really appreciate it
[automerge]1572363274[/automerge]
Hows the house piped up ive seen over flows from f + e tanks and supply drop down from the loft into the a/c.
Under floorboards and outside.
Which you could then pick up and take to drain.

Yes mate seen this b4 too but trying to stay away from this idea

Thanks though mate

with out knowing your boiler they usually have prv built internally.
Never plug of a prv on your cylinder ticking time bomb if theres a system failure.
Check the mi's of what youre planning on buying.
Far as im concerned all appliances which generate heat or pressure should have a prv fitted to it. Prvs should be fitted where the heat is generated ( appliances)

with out knowing your boiler they usually have prv built internally.
Never plug of a prv on your cylinder ticking time bomb if theres a system failure.
Check the mi's of what youre planning on buying.
Far as im concerned all appliances which generate heat or pressure should have a prv fitted to it. Prvs should be fitted where the heat is generated ( appliances)
Sorry mate appreciate help but have u read thread, dident say anything about plugging prv on cylinder, boilers conventional

My mistake on that opening line I did see you mentioned it.
Post 19 mate you said you'll just plug off prv and move it next to the boiler.

It should be same pressure, what makes you think it will be different?

Thanks
It's all the same pressure Lee just make sure you have no valves or controls on the return back to the boiler you need a open circuit the expansion vessel , pressure gauge , and filling loop will all tee in the return maybe in the airing cupboard . Cheers kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191029-180138.png
    Screenshot_20191029-180138.png
    104.4 KB · Views: 5
It's all the same pressure Lee just make sure you have no valves or controls on the return back to the boiler you need a open circuit the expansion vessel , pressure gauge , and filling loop will all tee in the return maybe in the airing cupboard . Cheers kop
Perfect, yes ive checked all that,

Thanks
[automerge]1572373212[/automerge]
Perfect, yes ive checked all that,

Thanks

Just wanted to see if anyone had a legitimate reason not to do this as ive personally never done it

Thanks again

Crikey that’s was some read!!
I teed in a prv to outside on a system where the boiler was located in a cellar below ground, spoke to vaillant who told me to blank off the boiler prv and install remotely then leave a sign on the front of the boiler.

Crikey that’s was some read!!
I teed in a prv to outside on a system where the boiler was located in a cellar below ground, spoke to vaillant who told me to blank off the boiler prv and install remotely then leave a sign on the front of the boiler.
thanks mate thats good to know
[automerge]1572381238[/automerge]
I can't see any issue either, it's only like Baxi's remote PRV kit they sell. As long as the PRV is on the system and cannot be isolated from the boiler by the means of isolation valves then I don't see any issues.

Cheers mate

In answer to the OP, stating the obvious I know, but the boiler is the heat source and should be the perfect point in system for installing a PRV.
On a system or combi boiler the PRV part of the boiler anyhow.
The expansion vessel kits are irrelevant.

Reply to Pressure relief valve install in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning All I have a Megaflo unvented cylinder . Water had been dripping into the tundish so I tried to recharge the air gap, but when I went to turn the pressure relief valve it would not turn at all, as it usually would. My shower has been dripping in the bathroom next door , could in anyway...
Replies
Views
In our sealed Megalo system, when hot water tap is used (say in bathroom shower) the megaflo is taking in some fresh water, I guess to compensate for the water used. The incoming water go via a pressure relief valve [most likely its this one: Heatrae Sadia 8 Bar Pressure Relief Valve -...
Replies
Views
W
Hi all. So I have an OSO Super SXD 180 immersion heater and it is pouring a huge amount of water out of the cold water pressure relief valve regardless of whether the tank is heating or not. We're talking litres a minute currently. I have replaced the valve which changed nothing. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi. I replaced the Pressure and Temperature relief valve on my MegaFlo CL300 (I had thought it was dripping but it turns out the overflow drip is coming from the 3bar safety relief valve for the red expansion vessel) Before I replaced the valve it would recharge the air bubble normally - the...
Replies
Views
Hi, all. I have a leak problem behind the washing machine. It's a pipe that is leaking directly into a drain. It used to drip but now is leaking a steady stream without stopping. Seems to be coming from water heater but I cannot tell. It is cold water. When I turn off the main water supply, it...
Replies
Views
Pritesh Patel
P
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock