Search the forum,

Discuss Pressure in heating system keeps creeping up in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

We have a 2 year old Valiant EcoTec 832 Combi boiler which was running our CH and hot water.

We recently had some UFH installed and the boiler moved to our new extension.

Over the past weeks the pressure in the heating system keeps creeping up. It goes from approx 1.5 to 3.2 bar overnight. If I do not drain any of the water out it remains at approx 3.2. When I drain the water to bring the pressure back down it creeps back up by the next day.

I have checked the filling loop valves and they are all in the off position.

One plumber suggested (over the phone) that we would need an expansion tank fitted as the pressure rise may be due to the installation of the UFH system?

Is this correct or is it more likely a fault somewhere?

Thanks!

As Brambles says above, fill to correct pressure, cap off filling loop to ensure the system isnt further filling and monitor over the course of a day or two.
It could very well be down to the expansion vessel charge or even sizing. With the additional UFH circuit/circuits being added you've increased overall system volume, which could have and often does result in the original vessel being undersized and not man enough for the job.
Really this should have been considered when designing these add ons

The other possibility is you have a split in the PHE coil causing cold mains pressure to reach into sealed system increasing the pressure that way if the vessel is sound and filling loop not letting by.

Sounds more like a filling issue to me rather than expansion.

As if it's a 1.5 bar goes up to 3.2 bar but then doesn't come back down when everything cools, if it was an expansion issue it should decrease at least when the heating is off.

If you're having to let the water out yourself it sounds like something is filling the system.....

Update: Emptied and re-adjusted the pressure on the expansion vessel which was very full of water!

Disconnected the filling loop hose to find that the valves on both sides were leaking! Capped for now and am monitoring. But so far it looks like the pressure is holding.

Will monitor for another 24-36 hours and report back.

Thanks all for the help!

Thanks,

Do you mean that water was exiting the expansion vessel from the Schrader air valve? If so, the vessel needs replacing.

Obviously the filling loop assembly and non return valve also need replacing.

Looks like you have two issues then, at two years old your boiler should be still under warranty. give them a call they are still coming out to warranty work.

The expansion vessel valve was fine - no water exiting. Since disconnecting and capping the filling loop valves the pressure has been stable.

The two valves either side of the filling loop were both leaking (cold water inlet valve and service cock).

have ordered replacement for both.

thanks for the help

The expansion vessel valve was fine - no water exiting. Since disconnecting and capping the filling loop valves the pressure has been stable.

The two valves either side of the filling loop were both leaking (cold water inlet valve and service cock).

have ordered replacement for both.

thanks for the help
The boiler not under warranty?

Reply to Pressure in heating system keeps creeping up in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock