Search the forum,

Discuss Powerflush back boiler in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I've a job coming up, rads have cold spots and need fixing. I'm gonna rent a powerflusher but I haven't done it since the training centre and wouldn't even call that experience.

The system is an oil boiler and range with a back boiler, I'm concerned about the back boiler, is it possible to do damage when flushing one?

Also, I've seen people flushing from a rad, should you remove the pump when doing this?

Personally I'd bit a bit concerned about the range cooker, others might say it's OK to do. What is the range doing? Is it just HW or is it tapped into the heating circuit as well?

Would remove each rad and flush separately wouldn’t flush a system like that in one

Personally I'd bit a bit concerned about the range cooker, others might say it's OK to do. What is the range doing? Is it just HW or is it tapped into the heating circuit as well?
He said its heating the rads. Wouldn't be surprised if the system is all on an open vent, homeowner said the the water is black even at the bleed screw

Just to clarify this is a vaporising burner yes? Not a pressure jet?
I've checked with some other guys and they say it could be done with the right chemicals. You can always bypass the cooker if you're concerned. Im still in two minds about it but others have said should be OK.

Just to clarify this is a vaporising burner yes? Not a pressure jet?
I've checked with some other guys and they say it could be done with the right chemicals. You can always bypass the cooker if you're concerned. Im still in two minds about it but others have said should be OK.
I haven't had a right look at the system, I will this weekend. I don't much about ranges though, I thought it was just solid fuel heating baffles inside. Is there any kind to watch out for?

I assume its a vaporising burner, in which case has a small horse shoe shaped boiler. A couple of my associates have stressed that there might be a rubber gasket seal inside somewhere which could be damaged by chemicals in the flushing process. Another pointed out to use a thoroughflush with no chemicals. They were a couple of my initial concerns, another concern of mine is the boiler itself is relatively small and if you're flushing a system you could cause sludge to settle in this boiler and you really don't want that.
If I were you I would isolate the cooker from the system while you are flushing. Stripping these units down to repair internal damage is a pig of a job and I've only ever built or stripped down a few.

I assume its a vaporising burner, in which case has a small horse shoe shaped boiler. A couple of my associates have stressed that there might be a rubber gasket seal inside somewhere which could be damaged by chemicals in the flushing process. Another pointed out to use a thoroughflush with no chemicals. They were a couple of my initial concerns, another concern of mine is the boiler itself is relatively small and if you're flushing a system you could cause sludge to settle in this boiler and you really don't want that.
If I were you I would isolate the cooker from the system while you are flushing. Stripping these units down to repair internal damage is a pig of a job and I've only ever built or stripped down a few.
Ya my major fear is sludge settling in the back boiler and it to start Kettling. And if it does like you say and the range needs repair that can be big money. I've heard stories where people have had to buy small parts for range and been told they can only get them from company men who charge a fortune

The working principal behind vaporising burners is really quite simple but a good understanding and experience is still needed. A lot of engineers these days either don't know what they're doing, or don't want to touch them, meaning those who do work on them can charge what they like. We always charged more for a service on a range cooker, vaporising or pressure jet than we did for a boiler.

The working principal behind vaporising burners is really quite simple but a good understanding and experience is still needed. A lot of engineers these days either don't know what they're doing, or don't want to touch them, meaning those who do work on them can charge what they like. We always charged more for a service on a range cooker, vaporising or pressure jet than we did for a boiler.
Can't beat an experienced head.
I think I'll remove them and flush individually, I reckon I can remove the cold spots on the rads. It'll give me a chance to see what condition the system is in and how its plumbed. No reason for the water to be as black as he says it is.

Definetly no chemicals though?

I wouldn't risk chemicals through the cooker but the rest of the system will be OK. If the system is a fouled as he claims then you need to find and address the problem.

Just remember if you're isolating the cooker from the rest of the system temporarily to flush the system, then have the customer turn the cooker off the night before.

They have a lot of mass to them and can take a long time to cool, as well as get upto temperature. You can't have the burner running with the system drained and you need it to be cold before iys safe to relight the burner. You absolutely never, ever try to relight a vaporising burner with a hot unit.

They are pressure jet burners, not vaporising, which is why I asked for clarity earlier, although I appreciate you're not familiar with these units.
Should be OK to powerflush with this unit still connected.

They are pressure jet burners, not vaporising, which is why I asked for clarity earlier, although I appreciate you're not familiar with these units.
Should be OK to powerflush with this unit still connected.
I just gave him a call and asked.
I think there's two pumps on the system, should I swap out the one I'm not flushing from for a bit of pipe. I'm concerned that reversing the flow might have some affect on it

Used to sell Stanley cookers the super star was a good unit .
Cannot see any problems flushing it.
Have a really good look at pipework there is often non return valves installed to prevent cross circulation.

Used to sell Stanley cookers the super star was a good unit .
Cannot see any problems flushing it.
Have a really good look at pipework there is often non return valves installed to prevent cross circulation.

Ecoflam minor 1 burners if I remember correctly?

Reply to Powerflush back boiler in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock