Search the forum,

Discuss Power flush or new rads in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

goodchild13

My plummer is fitting a new Worcester Greenstar 37cdi in my house. I have 11 rads, 8 old ones and 3 new ones. My plummer is recommending a power flush, but I'm thinking should I replace the old rads instead. If I do replace the old rads would I still need a power flush?

if you replace ,you should,nt need power flush,use sentinolx400 cleanser ,maybe fit a mangaflow

Still grime and muck in the pipework. Id always recommend a flush if connecting into a old system. If its a complete new system just flush through with some cleanser for a couple of days.

Take a view on the rads - if they're old and ugly you might want to replace them anyway. Belt and braces approach is to have the powerflush done before the old boiler is removed. Make sure a magnaclean or equivalent goes on afterwards. One other thing, the greenstars have aluminium heat exchangers so acid based chemicals cannot be used if the flush is done after the new boiler goes in.

For more info you could take a look at my site at Pritchard Plumbing & Heating Welcome

Regards, Ian

Isn't it part of benchmark/part L that the system has to be flushed prior to new boiler installation, also the manufacturer may void warranty if not done.

what about if I just got plummer to put a magna clean filter on it, instead of having a power flush?
BS7593 part L with reguards to the warrenty.....it says "recommends a power flush" but "in order to comply with with part L, a chemical inhibtor, which prevents both corrosion and scale, should be used." So I think warrenty is more about what chemical cleaner you use not the machine or how you do it.
Can't afford a Magna clean filter thing and a power flush!!

thanks for the tip about the heat exchange being made of aluminin.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there is sludge u WILL need to flush it as it is also in the pipework. This should have been proposed some weeks ago so the system could be pre dosed with cleaner. This loosens the sludge prior to flushing proper

Magnaclean won't remove underlying prob which is sludge. After a flush the Magnaclean can be fitted to preveent reoccurance of skudge in the system

Last edited:
powerflush is always strongly recommended, often the cause of the sludge is pumping over on a badly designed system , so before you install a replacement boiler it is in your best interest and your wallets to have the system surveyed by a competent heating engineer, not usually a plumber, who wil advise you of any long term underlying problems , regards , steve

as helpsy quotes, new boiler installs, require correct flushing of the system for the guarantee to be valid. also the addition of inhibitors.

thanks for all your replies guys. Will definatly have correct flushing and inhibitors put through it, so to comply with warranty. Can't run sludge through the old boiler unfortunatly as it's completely broken, expansion value in the back gone, water was pouring out. So it's off. Have not had heating or hot water for over a week now!! And will put magna filter on. Now my plummer is sick - looks like another week without heat or hot water. Wish I was plummer instead of a pole dancer!! lol. thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Power flush or new rads in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My Mother-in-law was quoted ÂŁ1,000 by British Gas to do a power flush on her system as her rads aren't performing well. I was wondering, as 4 radiators need to be upgraded to doubles, would this need to be done if they are drained off and replaced? How does one actually know it needs a power...
Replies
Views
Hi All This is following on from thread I made a few days ago but can't seem to find I'm in a bit of a bind with my CH design where I want to sort all of my rads and do some other bits including fitting a filter but I'm stumped on how to drain down due to how the system is put together...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I had my new boiler and 13 radiators installed in July last year, but since installed all the radiators always top half hot and bottom half cold or warm. I know that if radiators top half hot bottom half cold/warm, it indicates there's sludge in the system. But as the radiators were all...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig cupboard & a megaflo (no tank in loft). However the exisiting boiler is Vaillant ecoTEC 4xx boiler - which is satated by vaillant as an "open vent" boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My property is a 3-bed terraced with double glazing windows... It currently has no central heating, so I will get a new combi fitted shortly... However, I will be putting in the central heating. My question is, is it still necessary to have a lockshield on the hall rad? I assume that...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock