Search the forum,

Discuss Potterton Prima overheating & locking out in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cjelectrics

Boiler is locking out after around 2 hours of being on, checked pump & valve & wiring & drained system, flushed pipes no blockage . Pump & 3 port valve are only 2 year old.
I'm an electrician and can wire central heating & take the controls apart but not trained on the pipes.
I've had the head off the pump & found some lagging caught inside so I cleaned that out , drained the system & few times between pumping the water around to flush out any dirt - all clean, radiators aren't patchy either.

Does anyone know about the 2 or 3 stats inside the boiler that may be playing up and causing the boiler to overheat & lock out sometimes or at other times just turn off before it reaches target temperature but NOT lock out?

I can't think of anything else except that the pump has had it, I got told to see how much force it take to stop the pump spinning with a screwdriver, they said it should take a lot of force but I was able to stop it spinning with a 4mm flat blade and just 1 hand pushing against the propeller.

Any suggestion on what to check or questions for me about the system & what I have done would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Sounds like the pumps had it. Lagging inside the pump? oh dear!, if that's got round the rest of the system you may start getting circulation problems. If any has entered the boilers heat exchanger then this would cause it to lock out due to the waterways being blocked.
Check the expansion tank for debris as this is the most likeliest place that lagging would have entered the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Potterton Prima overheating & locking out in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi My oil boiler keeps locking out after running for 30/40 minutes! I then try to reset it but it won’t fire back up! I have to leave it for several hours before it will fire back up! Only to lock out again after 30/40 minutes! The boiler has had a new nozzle, coil and pump in the last 2...
Replies
Views
I have a customers trianco burner that starts from cold ok for a few minutes (say 3minutes) then locks out then will not stay on. Boiler had not been serviced in a long time and oil filters were bunged up as was the nozzle. I decided to service it with hopes it was simple starving of fuel from...
Replies
Views
Dear All New member here, coming looking for help. A few weeks ago I had work carried out by a British Gas Homecare service technician. It required a drain and refill of the system, and as he left, he advised my I would need to bleed all the radiators, at some point, given a few days, when...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, Baxi Ecoblue System boiler which was recently serviced just before Christmas. There has since been a constant but slow drip coming from the black nylon plastic drain plug at the back of the boiler which is accessible from the underneath. It does not appear to be from the thread...
Replies
Views
Hi all. So I have just moved into a new house with a Potterton boiler in it. Great big thing!! lol. I want to fit a Hive to it but it obviously doesn't have a separate standard control box to just switch over like my last one owing to the internal timer etc. Inside the main unit is the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock