Search the forum,

Discuss Potterton Combi Boiler Frequent Pressure Loss in Winter only in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

My Potterton Heatmax Boiler is nearly 10 years old, but has been serviced regularly and the Pressure Release Valve was recently replaced. It frequently loses pressure throughout Winter, when the heating is in use. During Summer months, it's fine! All radiators are all heating up to HOT and there are no apparent leaks.

Any ideas what could be causing the pressure loss? Looking for resolution suggestions before replacing the boiler, as I'm reluctant to spend all that money when the underlying problem may not be fixed .

The rads are from the 80s and pipework was installed then. Not sure if that makes any difference.

Grateful for any advice you can offer.

Cheers
Lou

But in the first instance you need a gas safe engineer to check one other very important part of the boiler which deals with the water as it heats. This normally works in tandem with the PRV and should really have been tested when the PRV was tested. Can’t tell you what it is as it’s in the boiler and we can’t give info leading people to boiler repairs bit any decent engineer will know what to look for

ok ...small leaks on a pressurised system cause it to go down eventually. TUM will keep,the system operating overnight or until an engineer can return. essential for vulnerable people with no risk of flooding. the ratio is 1x or 2x Tum to every van, so eg .my client today has pre ordered 200 as they have 150 vans out looking after 9,000 houses of which 63% have pressure drop problems ...maybe its not for you but thats the rationale and it works....centralheatking
Your post makes no sense. Let’s fit something that automatically fills a system rather than find the leak.

Your post makes no sense. Let’s fit something that automatically fills a system rather than find the leak.
at 11.00 pm on a cold night with vulnerable folk at risk
return next day. when the leak is an intermittent less than 1 ltr a week problem ..this is what the is designed for and the initial take up is beyond market expectations already ...there is a 2o year contract in place
anyway ...there are 3 more devices coming on soon

return next day. when the leak is an intermittent less than 1 ltr a week problem ..this is what the is designed for and the initial take up is beyond market expectations already ...there is a 2o year contract in place
Good luck with that. I’m out. I’m bored of seeing the blooming thing.

the issue here rob is that no matter what terms and conditions you write on the box some people will fit them as a permanent repair. been out to systems where installer had just left filling loop open with a 1 bar regulator fitted so it didnt over pressurise. hadnt solved the problem just masked it. when you turn up after 2 years of fresh water being continually being put into system and find inhibitor level is zero and boiler heat exch, pump and motorised valves are mullered, not to mention rads are going to pinhole due to corrosion, what do you do tell customer your whole system needs replacing. not good

the issue here rob is that no matter what terms and conditions you write on the box some people will fit them as a permanent repair. been out to systems where installer had just left filling loop open with a 1 bar regulator fitted so it didnt over pressurise. hadnt solved the problem just masked it. when you turn up after 2 years of fresh water being continually being put into system and find inhibitor level is zero and boiler heat exch, pump and motorised valves are mullered, not to mention rads are going to pinhole due to corrosion, what do you do tell customer your whole system needs replacing. not good
The market is managed properties which are in the managing agents radar ...we know ..thank you for your input

Every let property must have the gas system checked each year anyway

The market is managed properties which are in the managing agents radar ...we know ..thank you for your input
Every let property must have the gas system checked each year anyway
So what’s your point here mate? That because a LGSC is completed annually you could leave the filling loop partially open?

That isn’t someone that I would want working anywhere near my boiler/system mate.
Anyway my great friend a gas fitter whom I have worked with
for years is basically terminal and because he never married or had kids ...its now down to me and angela to sort it all out..his dogs old mother etc
the list of problems is endless
..so I am out 4 a while
centralheatking

But in the first instance you need a gas safe engineer to check one other very important part of the boiler which deals with the water as it heats. This normally works in tandem with the PRV and should really have been tested when the PRV was tested. Can’t tell you what it is as it’s in the boiler and we can’t give info leading people to boiler repairs bit any decent engineer will know what to look for
Cheers Riley. I've had differing advice from each highly recommended engineer I've spoken to. The boiler was fully tested and serviced in October, but it's still happening. I'm at my wits (& wallets) end trying to figure out what to do next.

If you’re struggling I’d suggest you contact the manufacturer. Most offer a fixed price repair that will include all but the most expensive parts

Cheers Riley. I've had differing advice from each highly recommended engineer I've spoken to. The boiler was fully tested and serviced in October, but it's still happening. I'm at my wits (& wallets) end trying to figure out what to do next.
I cannot see if you have established if its the boiler or the heating system...treat as two sep. items ...others will explain how to do this I hope as I am busy with Jimbo
Rob Foster....centralheatking

Reply to Potterton Combi Boiler Frequent Pressure Loss in Winter only in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock