Search the forum,

Discuss Potterton 28 odd behaviour? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All. As this is quite an old boiler ‐ I'm hoping there are many people familiar with this issue.

The boiler works normally for hours (hot water and/or radiators).

Then, it appears to be resetting itself every few seconds. This may only be a problem for radiators?

Hot Water and radiator set to max. Temperature display LEDS shows water reaching about 60%. Then a loud relay clicks, the temperature leds go off and just the far right one lights (central heating fault). In less than 1 second, the temperature LEDS come back on and the relay clicks.

Although the LEDS show a fault for less than a second, there can be 2 to 5 seconds between the loud relay click.

Is this a common known issue? There are no error codes to read, it is only in the fault state for half a second.

All advice greafully received.

Yes

But might be pcb

OK.
I left the unit shutdown for a couple of days.
Today, I used hot water for around 20 mins before it shut down. The fault light indicates central heating fault but central heating was not selected (only hot water).

Should I still start by changing the pcb?

I’m guessing heating over temp ?

Never serviced (to the best of my knowledge). Just safety checked annually.

sounds like a noisy kettle, not a swishing sound. I'm expecting a heat exchanger issue, but due to the age of the boiler, I want to replace the whole thing.

My house, not a rental.

I would have it serviced, but I've never had much luck finding good engineers. The ones I've met at other properties believe "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" Their service amounts to blowing some dust out and checking for complete combustion.

Now I have a demonstrable fault, it may be worth placing a service call (greasing up and bending over etc etc) but this is probably just money down the drain, better to request a new boiler install?

On this occasion, the money I've saved on servicing will almost pay for a new boiler :)

I will pay for a service contract on the new boiler. I was hoping to put off the installation for six months until I had installed new rads and filter.

Many thanks for all the help.

K

I'm thinking heat exchanger because the pulling mains water (for hot water) keeps it running whilst recycling the warm radiator water does not.

due to age of boiler, I don't want to invest in an engineer call and a new exchanger when other faults must be waiting to surface.

Change the boiler as anything is just putting good money into bad if your looking to change soon

Reply to Potterton 28 odd behaviour? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello Wondering if anyone can offer any clues please // Potterton Promax 18 // Had an E1 error code, repressurised via with filling loop // Boiler fires but now the pressure runs up from 1.5 mark in the green up to 2.5 in the red then flicks off. // Error code again // Once held in reset for...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a ferroli falcon 2 boiler (yes it is pretty old). A few days ago the hot water started going hot and cold when running. Monitoring the boiler, the demand light works fine. When the water gets up to temperature every 10 seconds or so, the boiler stops for a fraction of a second...
Replies
Views
B
Issue with boiler short cycling in system with hot water tank. We have an ideal heating logic heat2 h15 boiler which feeds a hot water tank upstairs in the house. We have an issue where if the boiler isn’t set to 80c then the boiler will short cycle, the hot water tank thermostat is set at...
Replies
Views
Conditions: nearly 10 year old boiler WB2B, heating mode off, DHW on or also in standby, Boiler shows no fault LED on, no new fault logged, room thermostat deactivated. Boiler gets odd attacks of suddenly turning on the fan 100%, then (gas valve and ignition are clicking?) potentially tries to...
Replies
Views
    • Funny
    • Optimistic
Hi, I've got a ferroli 901 boiler, I initially thought the pcb was at fault so bought a new one and I'm having the same problem ( has been connected correctly), I switch the boiler on, all correct leds light up, pump starts, fan starts, pilot fires up, then it shuts down, all lights go...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock