Search the forum,

Discuss Possible fault two-port valve in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hoping you guys can help confirm the diagnosis of a fault before I call a plumber.

I've lost heating to the upstairs zone on my heating sysem.

System boiler is working fine feeding two other zones and the hot water.

The zone is connected via a Nest, which is saying its calling for heat but isn't translating into anything.

The same Nest is controlling the hot water and that is fine.

I've checked the voltage from the Nest through the wiring centre and up the the two-port valve for the zone and all seems sound. The valve is powered, the switch-live energizes when the Nest calls for heat, however no activity on the valve.

If I manually open the valve then it energizes one of the cores which triggers the boiler correctly.

Am I right to assume this is a faulty two-valve or could it be something more complicated?

Its a Flomasta 8982G and has been in for 3 years.

Looks that way as long as the switched brown? wire is live, and you have checked that it is switching on/off, the other grey? wire is permanently live.

Would I just get away with replacing the actuator or is it a whole replacement unit and need to drain the system?

I'm confident I can replace an actuator, but might leave draining the system to a pro!

Just ensure that the Flomasta 8982G actuator is detachable, (most are, these days I think), You might then consider just removing your own one, and ensure the valve spindle moves freely, then power the (removed) actuator on/off to see that it doesn't move, then renew actuator only.

Edit: Had a quick google but didn't see a head only for sale but someone on here or any plumbers suppliers will inform if separately available.

Last edited:
Great! Thanks for that!

Checked and the actuator head does clip off easily. The head says Flomasta 8982G which seems to be a identical to the 27900SX in Screwfix for £55. Will give that a try. Fingers crossed.

It was the motor on the two-port valve.

Bought a new one from ScrewFix and clipped on just the actuator to the existing valve, wired it up and it works a treat again.

Thank you for the advice.

Reply to Possible fault two-port valve in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised valves simple bi-metal thermostat on wall in flat with 4 standard TRV's rarely used so not worried about the flat, and main house has Nest Gen 3 in the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Hoping to check if I have a genuine fault, or something I've overlooked. I've just moved into a my first house with a conventional boiler and hot water tank. The heating system has two heating zones (upstairs / downstair). Currently with both thermostats up high and the heating zones...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a ferroli falcon 2 boiler (yes it is pretty old). A few days ago the hot water started going hot and cold when running. Monitoring the boiler, the demand light works fine. When the water gets up to temperature every 10 seconds or so, the boiler stops for a fraction of a second...
Replies
Views
Trying to find out exactly what happens when my system boiler is called to supply the radiators and hot water cylinder at the same time. For example today, whilst the boiler was on heating the water, the room stat triggered the boiler to supply the rads. The diverter valve installed in the...
Replies
Views
Hi,

Our heating stopped working today. We've got a Veissmann boiler that's under a year old, and an older Megaflow cylinder, and two diverter valves (all about 10 years old). We also use a Hive thermostat.

When I boost the hot water with Hive, the receiver near the boiler shows it's...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock