Search the forum,

Discuss Positive pumps and shower mixers in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a positive shower pump that works well with current gravity system and shower mixer. I want to replace shower and found a mixer valve I like on Victoria Plumbing- But the info on most of their shower valves states ‘Please note a positive pump will not work’ under any circumstances? and if so why? Their help line has no one who knows the answer.

It may be that the flow through this mixer isn't enough to start a positive head pump which probably requires > 1.5LPM to activate the flow switch to start the pump whereas a negative head pump doesn't rely on the flow switch to start, it starts on a pressure switch so even a dribble of water will suffice?.

It may be that the flow through this mixer isn't enough to start a positive head pump which probably requires > 1.5LPM to activate the flow switch to start the pump whereas a negative head pump doesn't rely on the flow switch to start, it starts on a pressure switch so even a dribble of water will suffice?.

Maybe that’s it but as I said most of Victoria Plumbing mixers say the same thing. Cant see the same warning on other suppliers’ websites. Does VP use same manufacturer for all its large range and they all have the same limitation or are they just playing safe cos too many people are trying to use their showers with positive pumps in negative head situations. Why are positive pumps still made if they can’t be used with most shower valves🤷‍♂️Wish I understood.

I’m sure they had a load of complaints that various of their mixers didn’t work on positive or were incorrectly installed, so someone decided it was better to put out a blanket statement.

Anyways, don’t but from them. You’ll likely regret it in a couple of years when you need parts and they don’t have them.

Maybe that’s it but as I said most of Victoria Plumbing mixers say the same thing. Cant see the same warning on other suppliers’ websites. Does VP use same manufacturer for all its large range and they all have the same limitation or are they just playing safe cos too many people are trying to use their showers with positive pumps in negative head situations. Why are positive pumps still made if they can’t be used with most shower valves🤷‍♂️Wish I understood.
Stuart Turner state that a flowrate of 1LPM is required to enable reliable positive pump starting.
I have had showers in several houses where I had to take the shower head&hose out of the holder and put it on the ground to start the pump, its not much fun trying to take a fixed shower head down to get the pump going.

Plumber's Assistant
Pearl Wilson, Plumber's Assistant

Welcome! How can I help with your plumbing question?
I need to replace a Triton T450i pump. It is located in a loft above an electric shower which is gravity fed from a water tank in the main house (around 2.5 meters above). It has a pull cord for the power supply. Can I do a straight swap with a single impeller positive head pump?

Reply to Positive pumps and shower mixers in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock