Search the forum,

Discuss positioning of secondary circulation pump in the Ireland area at PlumbersForums.net

Dr Doolittle

Banned
Very last rad on heating circuit is a vertical mounted iguana circo rad, which is 1.8m high. The rad is not getting sufficient water flow even after balancing all other rads. Placement of a secondary circulation pump will alleviate this issue but the question is where best to locate it. Near the rad or anywhere for convenience of fitting?

No you wouldn't be disabling the boiler pump, that will still circulate through its primary loop. The CCT's are hydronically separating the primary loop from secondary and thus allowing the pumps to run without interfering with each other. You'll find lots of conflicting views on CCT distances etc. Some say a maximum centre distance of the tees as four times pipe diameter and others argue and prove thats not the case, I have seen them further apart. If the boiler primaries are in 22mm then go up a size to 28mm, this further reduces the pressure loss across the tee's, which is affectively whats desired, you want a nice minimal resistance and low pressure drop, if the resistanceis too high you're affectively back to two pumps in series. When the additional system pump is energised through demand along with the boiler the additional pump will draw its flow rates, while the boiler pump circulates its own through the primary loop.
Google CCT's, Caleffi display a lot of information in images so you can visualise what I mean. There are other ways to hydronically separate and better but tee's is a lot cheaper and serves the purpose.

so I would have to create a secondary loop for each radiator which in turn would have tertiary circuit for flow/return from the valves? How many of these secondary circuits do you need? One for each radiator or floor or zone? How do you connect the primary to the secondary
I have a 3 port manifold on the 22mm flow pipe which in turn feeds 3 radiators. Are these 3 secondary circuits or are they CCT's a centimeter apart?

20201202_170132.jpg

Something like this is what I'm suggesting. You would then have hydronic separation between boiler circuit and secondary circuit.

so I have a flow from the boiler, through the house and then back again as a loop (primary?) I would then join the flow/return together and have a CCT on the 22mm pipework so joining the circuit together and then back to the boiler? That's easy enough to put in. How near the boiler should they join/separate as primary/secondary? The boiler has a variable speed pump but the additional pump will not be able to be controlled in the same way (slow down/speed up the flow in unison). the new pump need to be on the flow of the secondary circuit right!

Eg for a two zone set up

pump is on the flow

1606931886864.jpeg

Dr Doolittle,

I have had issues with Iguana radiators not being properly installed.

Whilst they are not that large thermally, they need a 15mm connection straight from a 22mm circuit. I think that the manufacturer specifies 16mm to 18mm to the radiator.

In the case I had, two had been mounted back to back though a dividing wall and connected to a shared 15mm spur. At best they were luke warm. Once repiped each on a single offtake from 22mm one was excellent, the other marginally better. So we then read the manufacture’s instructions:

The valve mechanism is reversible for flow. However, the settings on the adjustment screws are different for left and right hand flow. One of the valves was incorrectly set. Once corrected the second rad was excellent too.

Dr Doolittle,

I have had issues with Iguana radiators not being properly installed.

Whilst they are not that large thermally, they need a 15mm connection straight from a 22mm circuit. I think that the manufacturer specifies 16mm to 18mm to the radiator.

In the case I had, two had been mounted back to back though a dividing wall and connected to a shared 15mm spur. At best they were luke warm. Once repiped each on a single offtake from 22mm one was excellent, the other marginally better. So we then read the manufacture’s instructions:

The valve mechanism is reversible for flow. However, the settings on the adjustment screws are different for left and right hand flow. One of the valves was incorrectly set. Once corrected the second rad was excellent too.
they already have that size fitting as the first thing I did was speak with support to verify the install.
[automerge]1606937232[/automerge]
I should also add that I'm running the heating flow @ around 35-45 cent so I keep it switched on like a UFH system. I think this cool flow is the problem and when I switch to thermostat control the big rad heats just fine. So with low temp flow I need a greater volume to achieve output. That was probably information that should have been stated at the beginning actually.

Last edited:
I don’t think that converting to a hydraulically separated system will make any discernible difference to the performance of your Iguana radiator. You are probably already at or close to the optimum flow rate of your installation. The solution lies elsewhere.

Reply to positioning of secondary circulation pump in the Ireland area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Silly question (and might already been asked 100rds of time) - I am specifying a circulation pump for the hot water secondary (circulation) return to reduce the wait for hot water. HW is coming from unvented cylinder with a secondary return connection. The secondary return is almost straight...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this. - 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented tank, zone vavles, pump, expansion is on first floor in airing cupboard - Currently piped as S-plan. - Hive controls. - Would like to fit 6-zone...
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The existing pump flows downwards. The manual for the proposed replacement recommends that it should pump upwards. This would involve rearranging the flow &...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your help please. I've extended an existing 'run' of radiators - the last one on the run ( in downstairs kitchen) is cold. The first rad added is...
Replies
Views
Hi, we had UFH installed dowstairs in our house recently, and I'm not 100% sure that it's connected correctly. I'd be grateful if someone could have a look at the diagrams and tell me if what the plumber did makes sense. The house is heated with an A2W Samsung/Joule heatpump. The buffer...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock