Search the forum,

Discuss Position of boiler flue in relation to velux window, advice pleas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

You wouldn't have to move your boiler just a replacement with a vertical flue would be fine. It would be interesting to measure surrounding atmosphere to enable the facts to be established

He won't put it writing because he knows he's not qualified to answer the question. And your window been closer to the flue is irrelevant as it's a different scenario to the velux. I still believe you should send the photos to ideal. If they say it's fine, it's fine, if they say it's wrong it's wrong and then you will at least have something in writing to get gas safe to take notice.

He won't put it writing because he knows he's not qualified to answer the question. And your window been closer to the flue is irrelevant as it's a different scenario to the velux. I still believe you should send the photos to ideal. If they say it's fine, it's fine, if they say it's wrong it's wrong and then you will at least have something in writing to get gas safe to take notice.
Hi Craig, photos have been sent this afternoon, awaiting response

Hi, just a question to you all, “how many of you would fit a new boiler in the same place if the scenario stays the same......like for like, without any fancy extensions? Just curiosity, yes or no will be adequate thank you.

No but there is also the logistical nightmare of going over your conservatory. Vertical flue for me

Off the top of my head I would say no, but I would also ask the manufacturer if it was ok before I looked at alternatives.

I wouldn’t too close would look at moving the flue / different terminal

A warning, don't work on the basis that whatever was there first has the right to remain there. That is rarely upheld if a case goes to Court. The is a lot of case law in this area particularly with respect to buried pipes and cables that are frustrating new development.

My advice, is you have an easy fix to relocate the flue terminal do so.

You should also be mindful, that you have demonstrated that you knew or thought that this was a problem. If anything unfortunate happens, the question could be asked as to why you did not amend your terminal position.

A warning, don't work on the basis that whatever was there first has the right to remain there. That is rarely upheld if a case goes to Court. The is a lot of case law in this area particularly with respect to buried pipes and cables that are frustrating new development.

My advice, is you have an easy fix to relocate the flue terminal do so.

You should also be mindful, that you have demonstrated that you knew or thought that this was a problem. If anything unfortunate happens, the question could be asked as to why you did not amend your terminal position.
Don’t worry I’m not planning on replacing the boiler as it’s working fine. It’s staying where it is and how it is at the moment

I think what he was saying was as you are aware there is a potential problem it’s probably not going to be in your best interest to ignore it. I realise at present you aren’t it’s one of those that if the worst happened and you ended up in court I genuinely couldn’t tell you which way it would go. There have been well covered events where a sealed window has been exchanged for an opening one and people have died of carbon monoxide poisoning and the powers that be have still come back on the installer for not predicting the future.

I think what he was saying was as you are aware there is a potential problem it’s probably not going to be in your best interest to ignore it. I realise at present you aren’t it’s one of those that if the worst happened and you ended up in court I genuinely couldn’t tell you which way it would go. There have been well covered events where a sealed window has been exchanged for an opening one and people have died of carbon monoxide poisoning and the powers that be have still come back on the installer for not predicting the future.
Don’t worry we are not ignoring it either.

Good. No offence meant it’s just such a terribly grey area

Update so far;
Sent an email to the private building inspector to basically have some hard evidence that I have informed him of our concerns regarding proximity of window to flue. Also to confirm that I was right in believing that he was going to pass the extension off without any concerns that there was any breach of regulations, being either health and safety or building, and no danger to life...........he passed the query onto the top dog.
In the meantime Ideal have replied by email,to the photos sent, to comment that from the pictures the window appears to have been fitted to close to the flue....... email forwarded to BI.
It’ll be interesting to see if building inspector communicates in any way shape or form with gas safe......

I’d say it’s extremely unlikely that BI will talk to Gas Safe

Thanks for the update, will be interesting to now see what the building inspector comes back with.
The problem is solvable with a vertical flue but it comes down to who pays.

Agreed however we still don’t have official confirmation that the flue is dangerous

Hi, we’ve nearly got an answer to this problem and will update as soon as verified, however just a question for you all.......if able to reach the flue how many of you would work on the boiler if the velux window was permanently fixed?

I don’t think that the regulations GS(IU)R differentiate whether or not the window can be opened. The flue terminal must be a minimum distance away from the window.

I always believed it to be an openable window where the minimum measurement applied
I dont think thats correct
What if someone gets the window changed to an opening window?
I think someone died beacuse of similar and a gas fitter went to prison

Last edited:
If someone gets the window changed then it's up to whoever changes the window to seek professional advise to make sure what they are doing is safe.
But if the homeowner and window fitter are not gas safe and dont see the potential problem

But if the homeowner and window fitter are not gas safe and dont see the potential problem
But ignorance of the homeowner/windowfitter is not the engineers fault. Regs regarding flue positions relates to openings, a solid window with no trickle vents is not classed as an opening. Saying the homeowner may change the window to openable in the future is no different to saying the homeowner may put a conservatory there in future.

But ignorance of the homeowner/windowfitter is not the engineers fault. Regs regarding flue positions relates to openings, a solid window with no trickle vents is not classed as an opening. Saying the homeowner may change the window to openable in the future is no different to saying the homeowner may put a conservatory there in future.
And how many conservatories do you see encroaching on flues or with opening windows too close
I was always told an opening means opening in the fabric of the building not an opening window

And how many conservatories do you see encroaching on flues or with opening windows too close
I was always told an opening means opening in the fabric of the building not an opening window
Scott, what do you think an opening window is?
[automerge]1565727279[/automerge]
I dont think thats correct
What if someone gets the window changed to an opening window?
I think someone died beacuse of similar and a gas fitter went to prison
That’s like saying the flue is near a plain brick wall, but in the future someone puts a door in.

Scott, what do you think an opening window is?
[automerge]1565727279[/automerge]

That’s like saying the flue is near a plain brick wall, but in the future someone puts a door in.
That would involve building control who should flag it up

That would involve building control who should flag it up
And how many people actually inform BC of intentional work?
[automerge]1565727703[/automerge]
My take on an opening into the fabric into the building is exactly as it says.... a passage from external into internal airspace, whether that’s into habitual rooms or not.

Seems we are both right, to clarify I looked through part J of the building regs, it does state than an opening is referred to as, e.g. openable window, air bricks, vents etc. But it also states that no flue outlet shall be positioned within 150mm of an opening in the fabric of the building e.g a window frame. So 300mm for openable window, and 150mm for a fixed window.

Seems we are both right, to clarify I looked through part J of the building regs, it does state than an opening is referred to as an opening, e.g. openable window, air bricks, vents etc. But it also states that no flue outlet shall be positioned within 150mm of an opening in the fabric of the building e.g a window frame. So 300mm for openable window, and 150mm for a fixed window.
Good to get some clarification

Reply to Position of boiler flue in relation to velux window, advice pleas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock