Search the forum,

Discuss Poor fall on soil pipe and toilet blocking. Advice for fixes please? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, looking for some soil pipe/stack help please.

I bought my first house end December and unfortunately had a toilet pipe blockage within a month. Place is old but was renovated in 2014 so thought it would be in decent nick!

Plumber came out to rod it end January from the access hatch (right above my front door...) but it's starting to back up again already. Build up of toilet paper at the 90 deg turn where the access hatch is was the main cause of the blockage he said.

There's a good few metres of pipe running from the toilet to the soil stack, including two 90 deg turns, with the bend directly out of the toilet being a flexi pipe. On the external run it looks completely horizontal or possibly even rises but I've not gotten up there to put a spirit level on it.

The bath/sink waste exits the wall a few bricks below the toilet waste where it fits into the stack, so I'm hoping we're able to add some better drop to the external pipe. Can't really access the pipe internally as practically the whole bathroom is tiled in, which only after buying I've realised gives me a few accessibility issues...

Any advice on how difficult it might be to add some drop to at least this external pipe, if it's likely to help? Probably looking at getting the bathroom done at some point in future but could it help to have a new toilet installed and to bin off the flexi pipe in the meantime?

Difficult to put a close-coupled toilet in there as the renovators even tiled the front of the bottom of the cupboard unit in, seemingly to keep a bit of void space for other pipes.

Cheers for any advice!

Attachments

• PXL_20220123_101215565 - Copy.jpg
    PXL_20220123_101215565 - Copy.jpg
    1,007.7 KB · Views: 28
  • PXL_20220123_101945069 - Copy.jpg
    PXL_20220123_101945069 - Copy.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 27
Looks like it’s running back to the access elbow adding more fall externally is easy looks like all is needed is a coupling as you would get rid of the socket on the end of the pipe plus a bit more for your fall

Soil pipes should only have a slight fall, in this case it looks like where the horizontal pipe meets the down pipe should be perhaps 2-3cm lower. So right hand junction just needs dismantling, lowering and reassembly.

It doesn’t look like the internal pipe has much fall, in conjunction with the flexi pan connector by the time it gets to the external 90, the flow has likely reduced enough to allow paper to get stuck on the rodding access.

If I was going to adjust this pipework and to be certain of a fix, I’d remove the access 90, add a tee at a 45 angle down and then reconnect to the stack. The other end of tee I’d add rodding access. This ensure that the paper has nothing to get caught on and gives it a little boost when it gets external.

Like this:

207FD84A-E54D-48C3-9BA3-E1B2F6AA3787.jpeg

Reply to Poor fall on soil pipe and toilet blocking. Advice for fixes please? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock