Search the forum,

Discuss Polyplumb fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

m@t

I have a grey polyplumb elbow that I need to remove one of the pipes from to replace it with a longer length.

I assume ideally I would use one of the component kits on the new piece of pipe, however, I have a new unused straight coupler and I wonder if it is acceptable to take the end of one side of this and use it instead? Or is the component kit made up of different items to whats on each end of a new fitting?

If the fittings are both current, ie one is not a lot older than the other, then the internal bits will be the same and could be swapped around. Having said that, it's not something I like to do as it's easy to mix the bits up or contaminate/ damage the sealing ring.
Why not just replace the fitting ?

Cut pipe you are removing 50mm away from fitting. You can then unscrew and disconnect by sliding serrated retaining ring along pipe and off cut end. This minimises distortion of retaining ring and allows reuse. If using plastic pipe this also aids recovery of insert. The foregoing assumes a non- demountable fitting.

Thanks Nick, access isn't brilliant due to how everything had been thrown in when the place was built so I just wanted to cover off all possibilities. I'll shoot for replacing the fitting.

Just for background, its on an elbow under the floor which then comes up inside a stud wall on a copper tail thats about 150mm long which then goes in to a brass compression elbow before poking out of the wall.

I need to move where the pipe pokes out of the wall, which kicked up a couple of points:
1. Is it acceptable to have a compression fitting buried in a stud wall?
2. How close to a plastic joint can you solder to a copper tail?

I had assumed it wasn't acceptable and that you would need something like 450mm to be able to solder hence wanting to just replace the tail...

Would you chaps just leave the compression fittings in the wall and not worry about it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideally not but sometimes it can't be helped, most here will (or should?) solder anything being buried and if you must use a compression or plastic fitting make sure you have reasonable access should it fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Polyplumb fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock