Search the forum,

Discuss Polypipe Underfloor Heating with 3x 2-Port Zone Valves??? in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Nis

I am currently trying to find out which is the best way to wire up my underfloor heating. I have attached a PDF of what my system is currently like.

I've been advised to install 3x 2-port zone valves so that when the UFH calls for heat it can do so independently of the radiators, which is logical.

I have also attached a picture of the polypipe 8 zone wiring centre which I have. Polypipe originally advised me that this would control all 3 valves but when it comes to actually installing it, it looks like it'll only control 2 valves.

Does anyone know of a way to either wire this up so it controls all 3 or another way I can control the system? Would wiring two to the centre and one on an Splan be the way or?

Regards, James.

Attachments

• Central Heating.pdf
    87.3 KB · Views: 13
  • UFH8ZRFW.jpg
    UFH8ZRFW.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 13
Agree 3 x 2 port valves so you can independently each

Have a look at an S plan plus system

I would wire them independently eg two channel timer for the rads eg one up and one down

And either programmable room stats or another prog eg single channel for the ufh

The Polypipe Zone Controller, is for a multizone underfloor heating system.
The key to configuring the zone controller is whether or not you have a pumped manifold for the UFH (normally yes). If not, you can use each actuator or either CH or UFH. If you have a pumped UFH manifold then limitations apply:

It can be configured for any of the actuators (normally zone 8 ) to control a radiator circuit zone valve. The only difference is that when triggered, the pump in the UFH manifold is not activated. The other actuators can only control a UFH zone. To control two CH zones you would need to configure a second CH zone ( if you have a pumped manifold on the UFH) it is quite difficult - you use the UFH valve connection - but it can only be hard wired not RF and the connection to the UFH (under the circuit board) needs to be disconnected and insulated.

You cannot configure more than 2 zones for CH with a pumped UFH manifold with this zone controller.

The main limiting factor with these controllers is that they can only drive one manifold pump - so if you have two UFH pumped manifolds you need two Polypipe Zone controllers with the second controller wired from “heat enable” into zone 8 of the first controller.

The controller is a Heatmiser Zone controller marketed as Polypipe. If you look on the Heatmiser website - there is a technical section that shows a number of configuration options.

If you are using RF, it is easier (or more reliable) to bind the remote controllers to the internet hub before binding to the zone controller.

Unless you need multi zone control of your UFH, you are better off returning it and using a more suitable controller for a single zone UFH

Last edited:
Hi Brambles, Thank you for your post, it was very helpful and now I understand the controller alot more!

I am running a 5-port Stainless manifold with 5 pipe runs. However, As it's only heating one room, I have been advised by Polypipe to run it as a single zone with one thermostat and no actuators. The control pack is 'Polypipe Stainless Steel Manifold Control Pack PB970055'. So I guess that'll mean it'll be a pumped manifold.

I currently have the 8 channel RF control and 3x SMARTRFW thermostats to go with it (are these also heatmiser ones?) and a Polypipe boiler RF switch.

What would you recommend, is there a heatmiser controller which would do a better job and can I use he thermostats I already have purchased or would I need to send it all back?

Also, just one thought I have had....can you not use the HW connector within the controller as a radiator valve? As I run a combi, I assume this is not used?

Thanks, James.

Yes, that (pb970055) is a pump and blending valve to fit a manifold.

If you only have a single zone UFH, I would send it back and control the system as indicated above by Shaun.

If you cannot, then using the HW as a CH should work - but I have never tried it - I have only ever used them as multi-zoned systems driven by a heat pump, so I have needed HW control.

They are (in my view) a good product - but obviously you are only going to be using a fraction of its capacity.

I don’t know if the SmartRFW is also a Heatmiser product - but the RF interface is common and will certainly bind with a Neoair.

Reply to Polypipe Underfloor Heating with 3x 2-Port Zone Valves??? in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock