Search the forum,

Discuss Police officer considering leaving to do a trade. in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I am a Queensland Police Officer that's considering packing it in to pursue a trade. I like the problem solving aspect of plumbing and think I'd be good at it. I've done a lot of home renovations but admittedly only minor plumbing repairs.

After a decade in policing I just don't have a passion for it any more really. Mostly I'm sick of the shift work and dealing with domestic violence all the time. I guess I'm here to find out if I'm crazy giving up a fairly good government job to start at the bottom again.

I'm on a fairly good pay scale with policing. Made 120 gross plus 15k super last year with minimal overtime. Most jobs I see advertised on seek for plumbers are in the 85-90 once qualified, obviously apprentice pay is Rubbish. But I'd be willing to do it if the job is worth it.

I should also mention I'm 36, nearly 37. I hear a lot of people talk about how doing a trade is hard on your body. I'm confident I'd be able to handle the physicality, but it is a consideration. I'm not sure if companies would be reluctant to hire me.

Keen to hear thoughts from other Aussies in the industry, cheers.

If you did an apprenticeship, over 4 years, you would lose @ 300k in earnings & @ 50k in super.

The pay rates for plumbers you mentioned would be for experienced plumbers with a number of years experience.

It would take you many years to try and get back on the pay scale you are on currently.
I doubt you would ever recover the money you are going to give up, if you change to the plumbing game.

Reply to Police officer considering leaving to do a trade. in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by the survey. I have had loads of plumbers over, and have always carefully checked their reviews/tried to vet them as much as possible. However, I've had...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical, carpentry it's been never ending. The house was built by Barratt Homes in the year 2000, it is a 3 bedroom house called a Palmerston, the CH/HW system is a Y...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, before I start I appreciate I may be on a hiding to nothing here but here goes. I spent time working as a tradesman with my Dad back when I was 16 but lacked the foresight to see it through, and ended up working in IT for the last 15 years. However, I've got to a point where I...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I really hope you can help me. I'm 26 now and live in London, I've been doing a bit of career hopping since leaving school at 16 in 2011. The first thing I done after secondary school was gain my Domestic Plumbing and Heating City and Guilds Level 2 and then 3 at college. However...
Replies
Views
Okay. So I have a ground floor shop and second floor flat for sale (potentially). No major need to get shot of them, but not a lot of point having them empty. I was practically born in that flat but no point being sentimental if I'm not intending to stay in Italy (except as a Brexit...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock