Search the forum,

Discuss PLUMBING SPECIFIC SLANG TERMS in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
People tend to lump all 'tradesmen' into one pot when it comes to how they talk but it strikes me that there must be some very specific terms when it comes to plumbing and heating engineers specifically.

One I have come across is 'Barrel' meaning any steel pipe to differentiate between that and plastic / HEP2O type stuff.

Are there any other slang terms in broad use that are specific to plumbers?*

*Full disclosure I work in marketing (specifically to trades) and this is a bit of research for me as well as general interest.

Here’s a few ( all true) so I hope swearing filter lets them through.
Ball cock.
Fanny trap.
Man hole
Tit trap.
Bastard file.
Flipping waste.
Never mind th sexual conertations of male and female threads!

Fairly sure a bastard file is the term of any metalworking discipline for the roughest cut of file. I don't think it's slang.

Assuming you mean a bastard file, and not something else...?

What is a tit trap?

Something you catch **** in????;););):(

Presume it has something to do with nipples

Here’s a few ( all true) so I hope swearing filter lets them through.
Ball cock.
Fanny trap.
Man hole
Tit trap.
Bastard file.
Flipping waste.
Never mind th sexual conertations of male and female threads!
I know some of these (ball cock) are actual parts, but what doe the others mean? What are they short for?

Ball Cock is actually what it says, - a Cock (valve) that is operated with a ball float, so therefore not really full slang.
Man Hole is also a correct term, - a hole for a man, although that's sounding worse! :p
Fanny Trap is definitely slang and not something I would say to a female customer or a female worker at a merchants. It is slang for a Hep waterless trap, - and if you can't work out why it got that name, I suggest you start getting interested in women. ;):p

Here's one for you older guys monkey muck what is it :D

Are there any slang terms that ara shifter aen't rude?!

Shifter. ( adjustable spanner)
Monkey wrench. ( stillsons)
Bodging chisel. ( a wood chisel that's used for anything )
Durgo. ( air admittance valve). Used to name all air admittance valves. The original one was made by durgo.

Monkey wrench is just the US term for a Stillson wrench, as I understand it... although Wikipedia suggests that the Monkey Wrench, patented in 1941, and that the Stillson was a later improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to PLUMBING SPECIFIC SLANG TERMS in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock