Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbing in the USA in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Any one know what systems are usually fitted (ie common) in the USA for heating and hot water?

Google furnaces. Furnace = boiler
boiler = an unvented cylinder

they have three phase to domestic propertys so they have true electric combis.

pipework is all imperial, alot of pipework is in plastic.
most is run in studwork.

looking to move over tom?

Last edited:
Gas fired instantaneous water heaters, moving away from stored water now and warm air heaters (furnaces). On the drain side its all solvent weld heavy gauge abs and separate vents.

Going over there for a couple of weeks for work and could do with knowing how it works over there, absolutely everything is in inches!

Was googleing USA boiler systems and not getting much joy, didn't make the link to furnaces!

I did hear some have instantaneous heaters but didnt know it was becoming the norm. I have just got the UPC 2012 booklet. PM me if you want info from it

Lived and worked there for 16 years Warm air heat & AC not done by plumbers, pipework copper soft under slab, rigid above CPVC (solvent weld plastic) & polybutelene (plastic with crimped copper fittings) (which has now been banned but tons of it around). Waste water Sch 40 ( thick) solvent weld soils & wastes then sch 20 (thin) once it exits property separate vents on more or less everything although only 1 1/2 "or 2" every thing imperial Electric unvented cylinders, 2 immersions, gas in town. terminology was the worst part, i remember standing in a "supply house" (merchants) trying to buy a 4" swept tee, after a few jokes about my accent and a trip into the warehouse was told i needed a "4" combo". My experiance was in the South, i know in the northern states they have heating and water systems similar to ours, boilers (furnaces) no radiators its all skirting heating or warm air

Remember un-licensed contracting in most states is a Felony (jailable offence) so you have to be working under someone or have your own license. Journeymans license for repairs & service work, contractors license for new builds Don't plan on making any good money unless you work for yourself or are lucky enough to get hired on a union job (mostly up north)

Reply to Plumbing in the USA in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Has anyone one fit or serviced one of these before; Heatrae Sadia 25l 9004010. It a 25 litre hot water storage cylinder.
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock