Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbing in a de-strat pump. in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, first post here and am after some advice please.
I'm having solar panels fitted in the next few weeks and the fit will include an iboost+ to use the immersion element to generate hot water.
I've checked the immersion and using a couple of heat sensors it's apparent the element only heats the top half of the tank, which normally generates hot water via a gas boiler.
My plan is to fit a de strat pump so that the solar energy will provide a full tank of hot water.
The pump has an NRV and a Stop valve built in and also has an integral timer.
The attached picture is a simplified diagram of my vented system hot and cold water pipes. The cold feed comes from the header tank in the loft and the head of the cold water feed is approx 3-4 feet above the top of the hot water tank.
The copper pipes in the diagram are only accessible above the top of the tank.
I know the connecting pipe with the pump attached needs to go from the hot water pipe to the cold feed.
Can I fit the T piece above the joint on the right hot water supply pipe? The vent pipe will have a good few feet of water in it before the vent goes above the header tank water level.
If I then take the pump straight across to the cold feed pipe and connect it via another T piece, will this provide adequate circulation of the hot tank water?
Is there any possibility that cold feed water will be drawn from the header tank when the pump is running?
Have I missed anything?
Thanks.

Attachments

• 20221022_171832.jpg
    20221022_171832.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 17
Nrv where the red line is on both pipes eg black line and cold feed

Attachments

• 26928C47-CCB1-4B98-9262-E73A612E3B62.jpeg
    26928C47-CCB1-4B98-9262-E73A612E3B62.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 12
I don't think it would be good practice.
Not only would you risk dragging air into pump when pump and outlets are running but you should maintain a 400/450mm ( can't remember) horizontal run on cylinder outlet partly to avoid convection in pipework from heating vent.
Could consider somewhere close to cylinder outlet or pos on shower feed?

Where is the tank located eg is there a wardrobe or somewhere that doesn’t mind an access hatch ?

The attached picture is a better representation of the shower pipe t-off position. I could get another t piece at the blue line and attach it 6 inches below the top of the tank on the cold feed. That is as good as it will get access wise. The only access to the back of the cupboard would be thro' the bathroom, but all that rooms walls are fully tiled.

Attachments

• 20221022_211959.jpg
    20221022_211959.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 6
that’s fine but you would mostly need around 12” as you have valves and check / nrv s

Knappers,
above new picture is the best I can do access wise. The point you make about a 400mm run and convection; all I can say is that I plumbed the shower feed in many years ago and it supplies a pump under the bath prior to a thermostatic mixer and it's always performed really well, no cavitation or other problems. Would the blue line lay out above be much different?

You will require valves on the pump and a nrv on the cold feed

Correct

Reply to Plumbing in a de-strat pump. in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment with a cold water tank. The cold water tank feeds the cold water tap in the sink and the bath. Recently, I refurbished my bathroom, and according to the plumber who fitted the new taps, high-pressure taps were fitted. Consequently, the water from taps is of a low volume...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked overflow/expansion pipe. Hence the header tank then reaches the overflow level and the overflow trickles out. I have changed the ball valve washers thinking it was...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, I'm moving to a megaflow from a regular immersion heater set up. The house has several showers and at the moment they are fed by gravity feeds from the immersion (hot water) and a top floor tank (cold water). All the showers are powered by (pressure drop) pumps which are fed by...
Replies
Views
Hi I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft. The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them? They are the pipes that feed water back into the top of the tanks when there is excess, presumably from steam, expansion, etc. The one going to the cold...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock