Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbing emergency in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a really bad situation. I've had a leak for about a month now that has caused a lot of damage to my living room. It's coming from under the bath. The plumber who came out yesterday had to literally remove half of my ceiling and support beams to find the leak. He found it only to tell me that he doesn't know how to fix it and will have to watch a YouTube video to learn how to fix it. My landlord sent this guy out and he basically sends out cowboy builders and plumbers who can't do their jobs. Normally I'd call someone out myself but my financial status does not allow me to do that at all. I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm being fobbed off by this guy because I'm young. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210506_182914.jpg
    20210506_182914.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210506_182910.jpg
    20210506_182910.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 20210506_182741.jpg
    20210506_182741.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210506_181911.jpg
    20210506_181911.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210506_181839.jpg
    20210506_181839.jpg
    469.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210506_181837.jpg
    20210506_181837.jpg
    595.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210506_181835.jpg
    20210506_181835.jpg
    524.8 KB · Views: 38
Can you post a pic of what is inside the hole in the roof?
Don't kill yourself taking the photo!!

If it's not a constant leak it generally means it's not hot or cold water.
I would assume it's coming from a waste pipe - hopefully a basin, bath, sink or shower.
- Not a toilet.

It's coming from a waterpipe the plumber has a video of the water spraying out of the pipe. I'll try to get a picture

Attachments

• 16203768691138238456111135637714.jpg
    16203768691138238456111135637714.jpg
    535.8 KB · Views: 40
Looks like an old lead waste pipe - no wonder the guy wants to youtube it on how to fix it.
Not too hard to fix if you know what you're doing - but there would be no guarantees it won't leak somewhere else.

Its waste water so you may end up with a stained and smelly couch.

Make sure you document all the damage to your property - you may be able to claim on building insurance

I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm being fobbed off by this guy because I'm young. Any help is appreciated.
The technical problem of how to fix the problem belongs to your landlord. It's basically going to require a plumber who is experienced enough to know how to deal with lead pipework, followed by a builder to fix the damage caused by the leak. If I were the landlord, I'd consider getting all the lead replaced with good quality solvent weld plastic for the wastes and copper for the water while the ceiling was down and also review access/inspection arrangements.

Anyway, I'd advise you to seek advice from Citizens Advice as to what your rights as a tenant are and how to proceed.

cowboy, disgusting work, you would move all goods from there, put sheets down, cut a nice hole not just rip the bloody roof off and leave,

You have to laugh he’s standing on the arm of the sofa so I guess he’s got no steps :D

I would want the waste system replacing not repairing also the whole room re painting after the ceiling has been overboarded and plastered

with the work thats been done bet they just screw a lump of plaster board on!!!!!!!!!!! if lucky!!
flipping cowboy.

1. The responsibility for identifying the problem, repairing it and reinstating the decorations is entirely your landlord's.
2. If items of yours have been damaged subsequent to your first notification of the problem to your landlord, then the landlord is probably liable to make good any financial loss you have suffered. Damage before notification would probably be considered an "act of God".
3. You are entitled to a standard of decoration broadly equivalent to that at the time you moved in, subject to fair wear an tear. The damage you show is certainly not fair wear and tear.
4. I would suggest writing to the landlord pointing out that:
4a. The faulty installation needs to be repaired in accordance with industry good practice.
4b. The decorations need to be reinstated.
4c. He / she needs to pay for damage to your property (subject to 2. above).
4d. Any recurrence of the problem will be attributable to poor workmanship and any financial consequences will be for the landlord to meet.

To be frank, I'd be asking for a discount on my rent as (not the LL's fault, but certainly his responsibility), parts of the property are not fully useable and therefore I am not getting what I've paid for. Since the LL cannot give less than 6 months' notice under section 21 even if you're on a rolling tenancy (it used to be 2 months, but there are special measures in place due to Covid), you don't even really risk being asked to leave as a result.

I would give the landlord reasonable time to resolve the issue and be reasonably patient.
If everything isn't completed acceptability then try to work with the landlord before laying down the law and making demands.

I would give the landlord reasonable time to resolve the issue and be reasonably patient.
If everything isn't completed acceptability then try to work with the landlord before laying down the law and making demands.
Agreed. Laying down the law is not likely to work. But you can ask, politely.

Reply to Plumbing emergency in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock