Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbing Business Advice Regarding COVID - From Mental Health to Tweaked Marketing in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Dan

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Plumbers and Plumbing Work During COVID-19 / Coronavirus Pandemic (Public Weekly Thread)

Firstly, Hi lads and ladies. Apologies it has been a while posting here. @Lou and I have been checking in every now and again to catch up with some things. I have 101 unread messages and 1,160 notifications yet to read (I wont get to read those).

WHY I'M POSTING THIS THREAD ABOUT PLUMBERS FORUMS, PLUMBERS IN GENERAL. AND OF COURSE THE PLUMBING INDUSTRY - when it comes to this COVID lark which is starting to get annoying. Partly because investment in sites has come down a lot. Partly private customers still worrying (or quarantining / shielding etc) so I thought I'd make a weekly mid-week email to the one same thread and each week add to it the latest (from a trade point of view) as to what's being recommended, ways to convince customers it's okay to visit their premises, be it a homeowner or sitework etc.

And even help with some selling points and pointers for your website (changing the very top image on all your pages to you in a mask and gloves is an example just off the top of my head).

But also, for those in quarantine or out of work etc, we can all contribute to it and let us know how you're getting on and if you need a chat, we're always here.

So please do let us know when your business is doing better than it was, and perhaps why, so others can copy your techniques maybe.

Please do let us know if you hear of suppliers doing offers.

Please do let us know if this is putting strain on family, friends, colleagues etc etc.

I will do a thread for public forums so we can help newbies and encourage readers to register. And I will do one in the Arms if the usual lads and ladies want to have a shoulder to cry on out of the eyes of the public.

Going to try and get some scientist to do a Q and A with us down the line. So let this thread evolve into whatever helps. But let's all try contribute positive things. But also your struggles and let us all help you out.

Thanks for reading.

First off, if you could let us know how you are actually doing right now for this week, and what 1 or 2 issues you're finding troublesome somehow, then next week I will try and come up with a post in the thread that helps those people.

I have just started back properly. When I say properly I mean 3 / 4 jobs a day or 1 / 2 bigger jobs. Definitely seen an impact on work. However I do have a lot of customers on a waiting list to be booked in. (Hopefully a good thing).

Let's hope first that COVID mysteriously goes away and we can look back on a bad dream. And/or that Prof Sunetra Gupta is at least partially right and there is some immunity from MERS/SARS etc. and it really isn't as bad as it looks to some.

Otherwise and in the meantime we all have to accept it as the new normal, and devise simple workarounds. Plumbers have high degrees of ingenuity.

If I were lucky enough to be in the trade, and I was short of work I think I'd look at stuff like making a video to show how I workaround COVID with potential customers, and add that with suitable words to my website, Facebook page, adverts etc. I know the best of you don't need to advertise, so that might be new stuff to learn.

Remember also from the customer perspective that communication and "say do" is all important.

Sorry I don't want to write a lecture here.

Thank you for all that you do.

Cheers,

Roy (a very amateur plumber)

I haven’t stopped during pandemic, worked Mon - Fri like normal, when company decided to shut down, I was working half days, doing between 3-6 jobs per afternoon. Then I was told Monday’s and Fridays were busiest, so had to come in on those days. I felt I was struggling mentally about a year or so ago, I don’t know why it’s taken Covid for you to ask us how we’re doing? I’m a lot better now though, and without being cynical, I think Covid has helped.

Have been back to normal now since around May. Recently been instructed to wear a mask, wore latex style gloves anyway.

Supposed to be shielding until 1st August. But it doesn't pay the bills.

Been back about 3 weeks, initially in empty properties, but now back at it fully and some. Works gone mental. Got in at 7.45 tonight.

Been promising myself a 4 day working week for the last 18 months. Cant see that happening anytime soon. I've work backed up that needs planning in, but at the moment just reacting to who comes back to me first. On the plus side I've put my prices up again.

I'll wear a mask when asked but a big no to gloves.

Financially covid has taken a toll, same physically but I'm lucky that it hasnt hit me mentally. Whereas the wife is struggling mentally and if she doesn't get back to work as planned on 14th August then she may become a fixture under my new decking.

Plumbers and Plumbing Work During COVID-19 / Coronavirus Pandemic (Public Weekly Thread)

Firstly, Hi lads and ladies. Apologies it has been a while posting here. @Lou and I have been checking in every now and again to catch up with some things. I have 101 unread messages and 1,160 notifications yet to read (I wont get to read those).

WHY I'M POSTING THIS THREAD ABOUT PLUMBERS FORUMS, PLUMBERS IN GENERAL. AND OF COURSE THE PLUMBING INDUSTRY - when it comes to this COVID lark which is starting to get annoying. Partly because investment in sites has come down a lot. Partly private customers still worrying (or quarantining / shielding etc) so I thought I'd make a weekly mid-week email to the one same thread and each week add to it the latest (from a trade point of view) as to what's being recommended, ways to convince customers it's okay to visit their premises, be it a homeowner or sitework etc.

And even help with some selling points and pointers for your website (changing the very top image on all your pages to you in a mask and gloves is an example just off the top of my head).

But also, for those in quarantine or out of work etc, we can all contribute to it and let us know how you're getting on and if you need a chat, we're always here.

So please do let us know when your business is doing better than it was, and perhaps why, so others can copy your techniques maybe.

Please do let us know if you hear of suppliers doing offers.

Please do let us know if this is putting strain on family, friends, colleagues etc etc.

I will do a thread for public forums so we can help newbies and encourage readers to register. And I will do one in the Arms if the usual lads and ladies want to have a shoulder to cry on out of the eyes of the public.

Going to try and get some scientist to do a Q and A with us down the line. So let this thread evolve into whatever helps. But let's all try contribute positive things. But also your struggles and let us all help you out.

Thanks for reading.

First off, if you could let us know how you are actually doing right now for this week, and what 1 or 2 issues you're finding troublesome somehow, then next week I will try and come up with a post in the thread that helps those people.
I had 12 weeks off from the start of lockdown to keep me and my young family safe. I notified my clients via face book etc and made regular updates on my page and business groups telling people to still contact me as I may still be able to help, I gave advice and instructions To potential call outs, examples were Small jobs like a packing gland nut or re filling system to diagnosing a pcb which another engineer who was working could go and attend even had one customer change a two port valve, all this over the phone and obviously didn’t charge, which goes a long way, because now I find myself inundated With work and a healthy client base, I now attend every job with a mask and strong latex gloves, i do think though that this is not going to be the problem, the problem is when furlough comes to an end and customers find them selves without a job and the wave of unemployment will have a knock on effect in our industry, eg the boiler change can wait or we will cancel the new bathroom,
We will see you just need to make hay now while the sun is shining! Good luck every one!

I am in the same scenario as Simon G my wife is high risk if contracting covid 19 so i locked down end of March till mid May , i am now back trading again full time and its crazy not enough hours in a day , customers pleading with me to do work i am struggling if i am honest but it is what it is . This Covid epidemic hasn't gone away and i can see high rates of infection returning, i am working safe regular hand washing mask and gloves when needed and minimal contact with customers, i am luck enough to live and work on the east coast so the beauty of the place has kept me sane and i haven't suffered any mental problems, infact it was nice having time off with the wife to get out and enjoy the countryside and local beaches. Regards all kop
[automerge]1596346130[/automerge]
Supposed to be shielding until 1st August. But it doesn't pay the bills.

Been back about 3 weeks, initially in empty properties, but now back at it fully and some. Works gone mental. Got in at 7.45 tonight.

Been promising myself a 4 day working week for the last 18 months. Cant see that happening anytime soon. I've work backed up that needs planning in, but at the moment just reacting to who comes back to me first. On the plus side I've put my prices up again.

I'll wear a mask when asked but a big no to gloves.

Financially covid has taken a toll, same physically but I'm lucky that it hasnt hit me mentally. Whereas the wife is struggling mentally and if she doesn't get back to work as planned on 14th August then she may become a fixture under my new decking.
I am the same as you Simon crazy busy struggling to be honest 10 - 12 hour days are the norm at the moment , if its not to rude could you let me know your price structuring ie day rate , hourly rate i am seriously considering uping my rates but it would be good to know how my fellow plumbers are charging customers ?? By pm obviously mate . All the best mate . Kop

Last edited:
I am in the same scenario as Simon G my wife is high risk if contracting covid 19 so i locked down end of March till mid May , i am now back trading again full time and its crazy not enough hours in a day , customers pleading with me to do work i am struggling if i am honest but it is what it is . This Covid epidemic hasn't gone away and i can see high rates of infection returning, i am working safe regular hand washing mask and gloves when needed and minimal contact with customers, i am luck enough to live and work on the east coast so the beauty of the place has kept me sane and i haven't suffered any mental problems, infact it was nice having time off with the wife to get out and enjoy the countryside and local beaches. Regards all kop
[automerge]1596346130[/automerge]

I am the same as you Simon crazy busy struggling to be honest 10 - 12 hour days are the norm at the moment , if its not to rude could you let me know your price structuring ie day rate , hourly rate i am seriously considering uping my rates but it would be good to know how my fellow plumbers are charging customers ?? By pm obviously mate . All the best mate . Kop
Hi mate yeah it is crazy busy at the mo
There will never be a correct way to price
My structure is £60 for a call out if I’m there an hour
If I’m there 2 hours it’s going to be between £80-100
Anything bigger will require a 2nd visit
I dont do day rate to private clients it’s all price
Price work is the way forward so if you can Veiw a job first always give a price that way everyone knows where they are! You dont want to argue the toss for how long into the hour you was there, price is price! Good luck

Hi mate yeah it is crazy busy at the mo
There will never be a correct way to price
My structure is £60 for a call out if I’m there an hour
If I’m there 2 hours it’s going to be between £80-100
Anything bigger will require a 2nd visit
I dont do day rate to private clients it’s all price
Price work is the way forward so if you can Veiw a job first always give a price that way everyone knows where they are! You dont want to argue the toss for how long into the hour you was there, price is price! Good luck
Sweet mate cheers for your input. Kop

Not looking good for Birmingham the infection rate is rising there may even be another lockdown ?? just been on the breakfast time news take care H . Regards kop

Reply to Plumbing Business Advice Regarding COVID - From Mental Health to Tweaked Marketing in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock