Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbing and heating duties? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mikey

Hi. I have just landed a trainee plumbing and heating job but I haven't done any plumbing before whatsoever. The gaffer said that it will be mostly labouring at first so can anyone let me know what kind of labouring comes with a plumbing job? I don't want to stand around with nothing to do.. Cheers.

Humping and grunting
Lifting rads .boilers.drilling holes .patching holes.lifting floors .cleaning up wtc etc
Plumbing can be quite labour intensive

Hi Mikey as above but make sure you dont get caught playing with your phone until you have your own trainee ...lol regards Turnpin:D

Glad to hear your good news. Its mainly about looking busy without asking what to do next. Sure you will pick it up as you go along.

who you working for buddy??
it shows good steam to get stuff ready for the plumber Like if your handing rads get tools level ect use your head more then your mouth at the start asking too much too quick will only give the plumber the hump your a lab to start with then TRAINEE

Personally I prefer to be asked questions, Also a very good idea to keep busy, even if it's only tidying up and driving the kettle at first. No one expects you to know what tools are required from the off.

Always ask questions.

Always be polite to the customers too. You never know, but one day it could be the business is handed over to you and these will be the very same people you helped years ago.

More importantly, if you're not polite customers might take offence and your boss might start losing business which means you'll be out of a job.

Good luck though - plenty of common sense and eagerness to help are all you need - oh, (I'm sure you are clean) some body cleanliness too!!! :smile:

Hi. I have just landed a trainee plumbing and heating job but I haven't done any plumbing before whatsoever. The gaffer said that it will be mostly labouring at first so can anyone let me know what kind of labouring comes with a plumbing job? I don't want to stand around with nothing to do.. Cheers.

Congratulations mate, that's great news. As you may have read previously on the forum these jobs are rare as rocking horse manure. Hope it's the start of a rewarding career for you !
Bob

As an old boss of mine once said, "IF YOU'VE NOTHING TO DO, TIDY UP!". Just work hard, pay attention and ask loads of questions. You'll soon be doing more than just labouring.

Good luck.

imagine you are watching a hospital drama, the surgeon asks for the scalpel or whatever,
he is expecting it quickly and the correct tool.
Application- become familiar with the different tools and where they are kept,
this will aid your duties as the gopher.

When I was on first job with my gas man a valve blew and water was gushing out into the living room. He was getting soaked.

Immediately I grabbed his towel and ran over to him. Wrapped it round valve which gave him time to get a tub under it. Then I quickly started moving customers photos out of the way which were getting wet.

He was impressed just because I did something. Rather that stand there and ask "what should I do?"

Be proactive and not standing round waiting for orders!!

When I was on first job with my gas man a valve blew and water was gushing out into the living room. He was getting soaked.

Immediately I grabbed his towel and ran over to him. Wrapped it round valve which gave him time to get a tub under it. Then I quickly started moving customers photos out of the way which were getting wet.

He was impressed just because I did something. Rather that stand there and ask "what should I do?"

Be proactive and not standing round waiting for orders!!

It's good advice from an old hand ;-)

Try and pick up the names of things as quick as possible so you dont spend ages handing him the wrong tool when he asks for one, leave your phone in the van and most of all respect his customers and his tools

All of the above then when you have nothing to do and are standing watching him think about what he is doing and what he'll need next and hand it to him before he asks.
I only ever had one laddie do that and he turned out to be the best of the lot.

Keep a speed fit cap in 22mm and 15mm in your pocket for when you cut a live pipe, your boss will be impressed when you dont flood a house yourself........................................ but even more so when you hand him a cap when he does it ;-)

Always have shifters and grips to hand. Tidy tools back in to box as you go if you are not using them. keeping the box as tidy as possible so you can quickly pick up what he needs. Pay attention and learn what tools he needs before he asks and have it ready. Save him time you make him more money, might even get a wee bung at the end of the week.
You sound like you have loads of enthusiasm and a keen thirst for knowledge. Keep that attitude up and you will be spot on.

Humping and grunting
Lifting rads .boilers.drilling holes .patching holes.lifting floors .cleaning up wtc etc
Plumbing can be quite labour intensive

And you forgot the most important one!! Tea making!!

Always remember you'll always be learning in this game, don't care what anybody says you'll never no it all, updating all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing and heating duties? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock