Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbing advice needed!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KLT

We've moved into this house last month and for the first week we were able to drink the cold water from the kitchen tap no problem and we used the washing machine to the left of the kitchen sink that the previous owner left.

Then my new Hotpoint washing machine and dishwasher arrived from Boots and I paid the extra for them to install them either side of the kitchen sink. Since they were installed I can no longer drink the cold water, it looks fine but tastes awful. Northumbrian water came out but its nothing to do with them as the 1st draw into the house is into the downstairs toilet and and the cold water from there tastes fine.

I've asked 2 plumbers who haven't even tried to help because they can't understand why it could happen, and now I'm left thinking will I have to fill my kettle from the sink in the toilet all the time I live here?!!

So for anyone out there with plumbing knowledge, if you were in this situation, what would you do?

NB: Don't know if this is relevant at all but the night before Boots arrived, we had to remove the old washing machine. It was difficult to see under the sink and when a blue valve was turned on one of the pipes it snapped off. My father in law replaced it the next day before Boots arrived, but he has no plumbing knowledge, so I don't know if possibly incorrectly installing the valve could play a part in this or be irrelevant, God I wish I understood plumbing!

does it taste of detergent then?

Can you get to turn off the supplies to the washing maching and dish washer and then run the kitchen tap for a bit and then try it?

Could just be residual flux from a new joint. Have you tried flushing it properly (let it flow for a good few minutes) and trying again?

Edit: although seeing the bit about the replaced valve leaves me wondering about an incorrectly-installed check valve.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've let the water flow for 5 mins and if that doesn't help I'll get my husband to turn both of them off when he gets in. Thanks both of you for trying to help

Hi. The Water Co have the facilities to test a sample from the tap and report on findings. This may help in your investigation if it persists ?

hi klt,

hhmm, seems to be tricky, of course, I would also turn the water off, that makes no sense.

I had some months ago same problems in our neighbourhood and my pretty Tanja, a good friend of mine ordered a .................................................................
didnt see that before, but it was a great help as the vibe of the machine stoped, she placed the mat under the washing machine. She said that prevents a discharge.

maybe this helps

cheers
jacky

Last edited by a moderator:
what does neighbours water taste like?.

water board here charge £120 if nothing wrong with quality.

is your local resevior running low.

disconnect appliances and start from scratch. check water quality with nothing attached.

is the check valve wrong way on one appliance?. you could be drinking hot water?.
ie. hot into dishwasher, cold to w/m crossing via c.v.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing advice needed!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock